• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

locker or spool?

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Since I have a solid now I want to rebuild it with all the goodies but I have a couple of ?'s
I hear even the lockers get annoying on the street but how much worse is the spool?
the spool is about $500 cheaper but I dont know if I could live with it. also are the c-clip eliminators worth buying? I plan on launching as hard as possible and when I eventually get the whipple thats gonna be close to 600ft. lb so I dont want my axles to go flying.
Im going with the moser 31 spline axles and long studs.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
get an ARB air locker, its an open differential when unlocked, but once you hit the button, it acts like a full spool.

dont get a spool if you plan to drive on the street, wears down the tires real fast cause both tires spin at the exact same speed through turns, so your inner wheel will technically peel out every time you turn.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
If the car is dragged on any kind of tire, and you want to leave hard, spool, hands down is your answer.

I dont have any personal experience with the Detroit Locker, but Carl had one, and that thing was constantly engaging/disengaging, seemed kind of dangerous to me if it wanted to lock or unlock around a turn or something. Anyways, his was pretty noisy and popped and tinked, and he ended up taking it out.

I can't even count how many different diffs I've broken and how much money I've wasted. It kind of sucks going thru 4 and 5 hundred dollar parts when a $189 part was the answer. Yes, a spool is a bit quirky on the street, but the only time I even notice it is during slow turns in parking lots. Tire wear may be accelerated, but the peace of mind when you floor it straight is priceless, and it will not break, I think mine is guaranteed for life or 10 years, or something crazy!!

I'm sure people will disagree with me, but those people weren't around when it came time to pay for all the broken rear end shit. Fix it once, and fix it right.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
If you ever drive it in the rain you definitely don't want a spool.

Thats true to a certain extent, my car sees the rain on occassion, and yes, you just have to remember that there is a spool back there when youre turning, but it is doable. Its not like the rear end comes out around every turn...but if you try to take turns real fast in the rain, you could get in trouble pretty quick.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Since I have a solid now I want to rebuild it with all the goodies but I have a couple of ?'s
I hear even the lockers get annoying on the street but how much worse is the spool?
the spool is about $500 cheaper but I dont know if I could live with it. also are the c-clip eliminators worth buying? I plan on launching as hard as possible and when I eventually get the whipple thats gonna be close to 600ft. lb so I dont want my axles to go flying.
Im going with the moser 31 spline axles and long studs.
Roughly what % of driving do you plan to spend on the street/track?

80%/20%?
50%/50%?
25%/75%?
etc.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
If the car is dragged on any kind of tire, and you want to leave hard, spool, hands down is your answer.

I dont have any personal experience with the Detroit Locker, but Carl had one, and that thing was constantly engaging/disengaging, seemed kind of dangerous to me if it wanted to lock or unlock around a turn or something. Anyways, his was pretty noisy and popped and tinked, and he ended up taking it out.

I can't even count how many different diffs I've broken and how much money I've wasted. It kind of sucks going thru 4 and 5 hundred dollar parts when a $189 part was the answer. Yes, a spool is a bit quirky on the street, but the only time I even notice it is during slow turns in parking lots. Tire wear may be accelerated, but the peace of mind when you floor it straight is priceless, and it will not break, I think mine is guaranteed for life or 10 years, or something crazy!!

I'm sure people will disagree with me, but those people weren't around when it came time to pay for all the broken rear end shit. Fix it once, and fix it right.
thanks for the advice, Im trying to gauge witch one would be the less annoying one to live with

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
id, PM carl and Larry about the true trac...they are both running them in there solid axles and we all know how hard they leave the line at the track

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Carl has already broken one of them and is on his 2nd Truetrac

How much HP will the car have and what is the 60' goal. I'd say if its under 600 RWHP and 1.5 60' times are all you need , then the truetrac will be sufficient. If you plan on having more power, spraying N20 (big torque), or want to go 1.4's or faster, definitely put a spool in there. There are other factors like which tire you run and what the car weighs, but I think this is a pretty good guideline

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Carl has already broken one of them and is on his 2nd Truetrac

How much HP will the car have and what is the 60' goal. I'd say if its under 600 RWHP and 1.5 60' times are all you need , then the truetrac will be sufficient. If you plan on having more power, spraying N20 (big torque), or want to go 1.4's or faster, definitely put a spool in there. There are other factors like which tire you run and what the car weighs, but I think this is a pretty good guideline

but that could have been a freak thing...larry has had his in for a long time with more power running through it then when carl's went on him...that y i suggest it.... its strong, quiet and good for daily driving

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Oh yes I dooooo!!!!:dancenana:
Nahh Im probably gonna go with the true track, if thats what larry and carl are running then that will be sufficient for me.

Good plan! I did break my first one when I was launching on the spray last year, but I am hoping that was just a fluke.

You should have stuck with IRS... all us cool people are doing it.

Once you have a couple hundred passes launching like Larry and I do, I doubt you will be singing the same tune. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info