• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

help with check engine light

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
i have a check engine light in the cobra when i had the code read it gave 3 possible issues

1) bad o2 sensor in bank 1 sensor 2 (pass after cat)
2) bad injector
3) bad fuel pump

CODE: P0136

well i replaced the sensor unplugged the battery and sure enough after a little while the light came back

how would you know if ur pump or injector is bad...

i remember my buddies car with a bad injector missfired like a mofo...but my car has ZERO driving issues, so im confused

what suggestions do you guys have?

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
unfortunately i lost the piece of paper with it on it, but ill get it scanned tomorrow and post up....any ideas until then?

Take it easy on the car until you can figure out the problem. Usually the code is pretty specific to the problem, but not always.

Also, I would guess that you would feel an injector issue (a miss or rough idle.)

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Sounds like a wiring problem.
P0136 = Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit fault - Bank No. 1.
Have you done any work recently that could have damaged the wires that run to that sensor?

Anyway, check for a short or open between the PCM and the O2 sensor.
First place to look is at the rear of the engine.
Check all the connectors for corrosion. Check the wires for chafing against engine or body parts. It won't take much to cause a problem.
The wires could also be improperly positioned and laying on one of the exhaust pipes causing the insulation to melt.
Just some places to start looking.

BTW, if you have MIL eliminators, they can fail too.
Dan

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
Sounds like a wiring problem.
P0136 = Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit fault - Bank No. 1.
Have you done any work recently that could have damaged the wires that run to that sensor?

Anyway, check for a short or open between the PCM and the O2 sensor.
First place to look is at the rear of the engine.
Check all the connectors for corrosion. Check the wires for chafing against engine or body parts. It won't take much to cause a problem.
The wires could also be improperly positioned and laying on one of the exhaust pipes causing the insulation to melt.
Just some places to start looking.

BTW, if you have MIL eliminators, they can fail too.
Dan

I do have mil eliminators for the rear. is it pretty common for them to fail?

as for any work on the car, pretty much since the trans was put in 2 summers ago nothing has been done to it. i was just under the car when i changed the o2 sensor for bank one sensor 2 and i didnt see any cause for alarm with the wiring chafing. But its interesting you bring up the mil eliminators...I hope thats not the case but if i need to buy new ones i guess ill have to

on a side note, just randomly on the way home tonight the check engine light turned off:dunno: but its been static till now...

i hate cars sometimes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• WhtSuperStang
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list