• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Battery kill switch, Yes or No?

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
I had to relocate my Battery to the trunk and I used a Taylor relocation kit with a full box. Mounted through the frame rail on the rear pass side.

Q:
Do I have to wire a Battery Kill switch / cut off to pass Tech and run?

Q:
Does the switch have to be on the exterior or can it be in the interior?

Q:
Do I need one and if yes, is there any other mounting options.

I really dont want to put a switch in my tail light, rear bumper skin and or in the tag aera.

If yes, what kind should I buy and where to get it?

Thanks

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
I had to relocate my Battery to the trunk and I used a Taylor relocation kit with a full box. Mounted through the frame rail on the rear pass side.

Q:
yes
Q:
exterior
Q:
yes, it just needs to be mounted on the rear of the car and visual / accessible
I really dont want to put a switch in my tail light, rear bumper skin and or in the tag aera.

If yes, what kind should I buy and where to get it?

Thanks

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Q:

yes you will need it to pass tech as places like 66 and perhaps GLD, other tracks like Byron an 41 really have no tech, if they checked they could fail you though.

Q:

It needs to be mounted on the exterior of the car, no exceptions, several options of running it threw your tail light, under your bumper cover, threw the bumper cover etc etc.

Q:

No you don't need one for daily driving, I've had mine relocated for 2 years now. I am unaware of other mounting options.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
Thanks Bob and Cap.

That sucks. Now I have some ugly ass switch on the ass end. What about installing it right through the tag/plate in the center? Would that get me pulled over by the traffic cops?

I have no clue what the hell I'm doing unless I get some direction :lmao:

I just want to make sure its done legal so I dont trailer or drive all the way out and have to watch from the stands because I didnt do it right.

Thanks for any help.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
^ You wouldnt happen to have a picture of it in place would you?

I just found a Flaming River Kill switch in stock near me. Now I need to figure out the best &,cleanest mounting spot.

BTW....
Can I just kill the power to the positive cable leading out of the trunk or do I have to go to other spots as well?

EDIT:
The bottom side of the bumper suport sounds better then through the skin or the taillight or even through the plate.

I read some rules and it says that the switch must have the words "OFF". I see some come with a mounting plate that says that. Is this a deal breaker if it cant be read or do i really need it to say OFF?

Thanks.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
^ You wouldnt happen to have a picture of it in place would you?

I just found a Flaming River Kill switch in stock near me. Now I need to figure out the best &,cleanest mounting spot.

BTW....
Can I just kill the power to the positive cable leading out of the trunk or do I have to go to other spots as well?

EDIT:
The bottom side of the bumper suport sounds better then through the skin or the taillight or even through the plate.

I read some rules and it says that the switch must have the words "OFF". I see some come with a mounting plate that says that. Is this a deal breaker if it cant be read or do i really need it to say OFF?

Thanks.

To be track legal, it has to say "off". The reason is so that in the even of emergency, they know which way to turn it.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
To mount it through the trunk makes it virtually impossible to open the trunk or use it. The license plate is attached the trunk lid unlike foxbodies. Shane has his setup under the bumper and it's easily accessible. I'm not sure if he has pictures of it or not. Think his username over his is shane97cobra

Here is a pic someone else posted of the wiring diagram he notes it's posted for a 5.0 it will work on modular's

http://www.chicagolandmustang.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21968&page=2

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
The guy I know of who did it was on a SN95, which has the plate in the trunk as well.... takes a little work, but not impossible and you cant even tell its done.....

Cutoff_Switch.jpg

Heres how the wires were routed through the trunk then.....
Pass_Side.jpg

Drivers_Side.jpg

Where there's a will theres a way. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info