• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Stripped the Inside of my Chrome Wheels

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
I can't remember what forum I saw this on but I was in autozone the other day and saw the aircraft stripper tin and decided to try it out. I think I made a big mistake by trying to strip one of the wheels where it was bubbling in the inside. The other two that I did came out absolutley perfect. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the bubbling. It goes straight through the chrome:-o

I went to a car wash stall so I had a high pressure washer and I didnt have to worry about getting the stuff all over my driveway.

Clean Strip Aircraft Remover
Steel Wool Med Harsh
Plastic Brush
Microfibers
Brake Clean
Claybar

The good one without bubble

FrontBeforestrip.jpg

The wheel with bubble/blistering

bubble.jpg

I just gobbed the stuff in the inside of the rim and spread it even with a plastic brush....

Stripping.jpg

Power Washed

StripB4Polish.jpg

The bad wheel

Fuckdup.jpg

The final product. The lip is clean now.

Polishedd.jpg

klegar343grd.jpg

skyhighsd

auto mofo
Mar 25, 2007
I dont know of a way to fix that problem, without having the wheel refinished and it will only get worse. A friend of mine owns a body shop that has a place that will do it. I think there is a year warr. on there work it might be longer but I cannot remember off hand it has been a while since I have used the company. I can get the number if you want? Other than that good luck.

Stangfreak91

TCG Elite Member
Dec 5, 2004
after seeing Erik's wheels (noavgcobra) another member and I did our's. We had some small bubbles but nothing like what you have, not sure how to fix that? The wheels look AWESOME after you do the work, but it's more critical than ever to perfect the newly exposed metal. So we try and keep them dry and use mothers and a coat of carnuba wax on the inside of the wheels helps to repel the brake dust and makes for an easy clean after every ride. Did you do the lug nut holes as well? Also make sure you remove the center cap or the stripper will eat it.

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
I dont know of a way to fix that problem, without having the wheel refinished and it will only get worse. A friend of mine owns a body shop that has a place that will do it. I think there is a year warr. on there work it might be longer but I cannot remember off hand it has been a while since I have used the company. I can get the number if you want? Other than that good luck.

Honestly I think it will prob be too expensive(but may be worth it to have the wheel PERFECT) as of now I have 2 perfect all chrome wheels, 1 bubble fucked and 1 untouched with small bubbles. I think Im just gonna sell the two and try and get some new ones in good shape. But thank you for the offer. :toast:

after seeing Erik's wheels (noavgcobra) another member and I did our's. We had some small bubbles but nothing like what you have, not sure how to fix that? The wheels look AWESOME after you do the work, but it's more critical than ever to perfect the newly exposed metal. So we try and keep them dry and use mothers and a coat of carnuba wax on the inside of the wheels helps to repel the brake dust and makes for an easy clean after every ride. Did you do the lug nut holes as well? Also make sure you remove the center cap? of the stripper will eat it.

No I didnt because on all the wheels it looked a little bubbled. Carnuba wax ehh? I was gonna do that but I thought you would need some chrome polish or something. I'm thinking about grabbing a mothers powerball. Thanks for the tip on the center cap Randy.

that shit looks clean as hell tho!

:headbang:

nice work!!! that one wheel you would have to have refinished..... that shit you used we sell it..... very strong stuff i hope you used gloves, cause if you didnt well we wont go there

Thanks.

Ughh, I got some on my fingers because I didnt have a glove on the left hand an it was fine. I had 3 rubber gloves though on my right hand that I was using with the brush. If I left it on the glove for a few min it would eat through the finger tips.

However I did get some splashed on my wrist. I felt something burning and i looked down and I had a goob of it on me! It burned like a mother fuckedr and kept going after I wiped it off but it was only a dime size goob.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info