• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

thinking about a solid rear... thoughts?

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
I've been thinking about a solid rear end lately, I'd like to launch the car at the track a bit higher than what you can with the IRS. I have a fox rear end sitting in the garage and I was wondering if its feasible to put in the cobra, would it work? Im sure the mounting points are the same but would it be too narrow? its probably better to find someone with a GT that wants to trade but I figured I might be able to make this one work. I know a lot of you guys have done the swaps, please share some knowledge...

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Launch it hard now, but invest in some ET Streets for the track... if it breaks than do the project. I have many passes on my IRS with only one breakage and that was because I was popping the clutch at >6k launches. PS AAA and changing it isn't bad... $$$< than solid... :lmao:

Then take the money you would use and mod your car more! ;)

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
i like mine.

traded with an 02 gt, gutted and built it, got new upper and lower control arms with coilovers. the swap took about 4 hours to get the solid out and the irs in his car with exhaust; the irs was already dropped and we didnt install it until after it was built. heard it isnt necessary but we ended up swapping brake lines and e-brake cables too.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Launch it hard now, but invest in some ET Streets for the track... if it breaks than do the project. I have many passes on my IRS with only breakage and that was because I was popping the clutch at >6k launches.

Then take the money you would use and mod your car more! ;)
Damn! 6k launches wow! I just figured if I could use that fox rear end I have sittin there I wouldnt have to spend too much money, but I guess I cant:crying:

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
i like mine.

traded with an 02 gt, gutted and built it, got new upper and lower control arms with coilovers. the swap took about 4 hours to get the solid out and the irs in his car with exhaust; the irs was already dropped and we didnt install it until after it was built. heard it isnt necessary but we ended up swapping brake lines and e-brake cables too.
thats what I could do if I found someone to trade, anyone...?

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Its mixed feelings here, I bought one sat in my garage for a year never put it in. Sold it to Tainted Snake on here for his 99 cobra. I found out I could beef up the IRS and still keep the smooth ride so I went that route. Solid axle is not cheap to do, Id rather do a twin screw if I were you. To do it all right it will set you back 3500-4000k.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Its mixed feelings here, I bought one sat in my garage for a year never put it in. Sold it to Tainted Snake on here for his 99 cobra. I found out I could beef up the IRS and still keep the smooth ride so I went that route. Solid axle is not cheap to do, Id rather do a twin screw if I were you. To do it all right it will set you back 3500-4000k.
Im not concerned about the ride quality too much. I'd hate to spend $1500 on driveshafts but you are right it ends up being a lot of $ to do this the right way.

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
Yea my car will finally be done this weekend. I just ordered my exhaust to complete the solid swap and it ran me about $2000 with exhaust. And Dan hooked me up on a killer deal on that housing and everything that came with it. buying everything i have at retail would have cost near $3k-$3500

Being that you have an 04, I would probably just upgrade the half shafts, get some slicks and maybe gear and be done with it, at least until you completely break it or warrant needing the solid for high hp/tq applications.

just my opinion/.02

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
1207547633388zf7.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info