• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Odd Coolant leak (w/pics)

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
OK - so I take my 03 SVT Focus in to Ron Hopkins Ford in Elgin about ten days ago because my ABS and Traction Control lights were always on (bad ABS sensor) and I had a nasty suspension noise up front (front sway bar issue). A couple days after that I notice a small puddle on my garage floor that turns out to be a watery coolant mix. The spot is not really that big and I notice that my coolant tank is on the high side of full - thinking maybe there is an excess and some just "got out" I give it a couple of days checking on the situation. Currently I don't put very many daily miles (maybe 10-15) and with gas prices so F-up I do not drive her hard at all.
The odd thing about the leak is that it doesn't do anything right after I turn her off or even after a couple of hours of cool down - it always happens over night, after many hours of sitting.
I have found the area/unit where the leak is coming from. A large hose is attached to this unit that appears to have a valve (silver metal cap in the picture) at the bottom.
This 1st picture gives you a general idea of where the issues is coming from:
DSCF4108.jpg

The 2nd picture is a closer look at area/unit, you can see some coolant below
DSCF4105.jpg

What is that?
Ideas what would cause the delayed leaking?
Is it something I can fix or tighten myself?

I work on my cars as much as I can because it saves time and I know it is done right, but when parts fail or there are CEL & electric issues I do take them in. My 2nd concern and something that I do not like to think - I did not have this issues before I went to the dealership for service but I did argue with the service counter guy about charges and what should be covered under my extended warranty...
Would think in todays competitive world BS service situations would be a thing of the past. What do you think, did they mess with something to get my car back in???:mad:

Thanks for your help.....Tim

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
This is what I got over at Focus Fanatics:
Its VERY common - That would be your thermostat housing.
Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search for Viton 109. this ring is the one you want.
Only the SVT's have this retarded silver plug on the bottom. you should remove the plug and give it a new o-ring. There is a c-clip that you push in (not pull out) and the plug will come out. you may be able to find a similiar o-ring at the parts store but i will NOT guarantee they will fit. most will prolly be too thick. the site i mentioned earlier will get you what you need. i would order the right stuff first as long as coolant isnt pouring out of the bottom. they are cheap too!

I'll probably try and see if a dealer has the part or maybe a local NAPA, if not will just order the O ring from McMaster. Still have to wonder why there was no issue before I took the car in for service...if I pull the plug and that O Ring is gone I am going to go Nutz on the service manager:argue:

macdiesel

Apr 17, 2007
Super common problem. I replaced the metal plug and the ect sensor o-rings with the viton ones. Can't remember but one of the two I had to dremel the o-ring down a little to fit snug. No problems to date though. Also, I believe ordering thru McMaster requirs some sort of bulk buying. Could be wrong though.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
OK - so I take my 03 SVT Focus in to Ron Hopkins Ford in Elgin about ten days ago because my ABS and Traction Control lights were always on (bad ABS sensor) and I had a nasty suspension noise up front (front sway bar issue). A couple days after that I notice a small puddle on my garage floor that turns out to be a watery coolant mix. The spot is not really that big and I notice that my coolant tank is on the high side of full - thinking maybe there is an excess and some just "got out" I give it a couple of days checking on the situation. Currently I don't put very many daily miles (maybe 10-15) and with gas prices so F-up I do not drive her hard at all.
The odd thing about the leak is that it doesn't do anything right after I turn her off or even after a couple of hours of cool down - it always happens over night, after many hours of sitting.
I have found the area/unit where the leak is coming from. A large hose is attached to this unit that appears to have a valve (silver metal cap in the picture) at the bottom.
This 1st picture gives you a general idea of where the issues is coming from:
DSCF4108.jpg

The 2nd picture is a closer look at area/unit, you can see some coolant below
DSCF4105.jpg

What is that?
Ideas what would cause the delayed leaking?
Is it something I can fix or tighten myself?

I work on my cars as much as I can because it saves time and I know it is done right, but when parts fail or there are CEL & electric issues I do take them in. My 2nd concern and something that I do not like to think - I did not have this issues before I went to the dealership for service but I did argue with the service counter guy about charges and what should be covered under my extended warranty...
Would think in todays competitive world BS service situations would be a thing of the past. What do you think, did they mess with something to get my car back in???:mad:

Thanks for your help.....Tim

Yup I got the same problem, It leaks in the same spot its the thermostat sensor plug. I went to autozone and bought a whole pack of o rings made from VITON it has a higher heat tolerance. Im still waiting for the weather to get a little better to replace it.

This is a very common problem lucky for us its a cheap fix. Ford decided to save 50 cents a car and put cheap o ring seals.

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
Hey FuelSlut - Do you have a part number or somthing on that bag you got from AutoZone (or was it just the Viton 109)? If so, please post it up:headbang:
There are a couple of parts places close to me, will just pick it up there if I can! Not looking forward to changing it out - not much space in there for big hands, wonder if I need to take a few of the hoses off 1st? And how much of a mess it will make (keep the dog away) lol

Thanks for the Reply:alcoholic

03SVTFOCUS

May 27, 2008
I had the same problem with my o3 svt focus, it turned out to be my thermostat housing needed to br replaced. Mine got so bad that i lost all of my coolant in the reservoir and my car over heated and then my valve cover gasket started leaking. if u have the premium care it should be covered.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info