• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Flywheel Resurfacing

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008
My clutch is about to go out, and I am thinking of replacing it soon. My question is if I can reuse the stock flywheel, can I just replace the clutch & pressure plate, and if needs to be resurfaced - who can do that for me. I am really not looking into buying a new flywheel if I can avoid it at all. And, I might just get stock clutch again, as from what I hear it is pretty stout. And I won't be taking the car to the track or doing dig runs - maybe just some occasional roll-on fun.
Any info is appreciated.
:biggthump

ChromeCobra

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2005
If your gonna go through the trouble of replacing the clutch you should just upgrade it while your under there...Im sure what Ford charges for a stock replacement clutch is the same if not more money than a good aftermarket one..You can take your flywheel to most auto shops that have a machine shop, I took mine to Napa auto parts and they resurfaced it for $30..

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
If your gonna go through the trouble of replacing the clutch you should just upgrade it while your under there...Im sure what Ford charges for a stock replacement clutch is the same if not more money than a good aftermarket one..You can take your flywheel to most auto shops that have a machine shop, I took mine to Napa auto parts and they resurfaced it for $30..

+1, i think the FRPP Factory 2003 cobra clutch is like 330 bucks from summit. You could get a centerforce or spec unit for that much if not cheaper

PNSH3R

Regular
Mar 7, 2008

ChromeCobra

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2005
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=M7560D46%20%20%20%20%20%20%201&comp=LRS
$250

plus the tob retained sleeve, and good TOB, and flywheel resurfacing.
If I were to do a full blown spec 3+, with flywheel & all goodies I would be looking at $1200 or so.
And car won't be seeing over 550whp until sometime next summer anyway, and then I will have more money to throw at it anyway.

Why would you jump from getting a stock replacement clutch to a "full blown spec 3+"
Thats overkill if your car is gonna be making around 500rwhp... This one http://www.lethalperformance.com/pa...obra-mach-1-clutch-kit-stage-2-26-spline.html will work good with your setup, or maybe spend some more and get the 2+ or 3...You say "The car wont be seeing over 550rwhp untill next summer" So why not upgrade now and be done with it?

J

Jpatte

My clutch is about to go out, and I am thinking of replacing it soon. My question is if I can reuse the stock flywheel, can I just replace the clutch & pressure plate, and if needs to be resurfaced - who can do that for me. I am really not looking into buying a new flywheel if I can avoid it at all. And, I might just get stock clutch again, as from what I hear it is pretty stout. And I won't be taking the car to the track or doing dig runs - maybe just some occasional roll-on fun.
Any info is appreciated.
:biggthump

You can resurface the original fly wheel for about $125 max. Thats with the
flywheel taken apart, resurfaced and reattached. Can't remeber the name of the place, its in south holland.
Update

Surge Clutch & Driveline Company
(708) 331-1352 www.surgeclutch.com
South Holland, IL 60473 Map it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info