• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

save for maintenance or use to pulley?

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well my car has 63k miles on it. no problems at all. tires are 6 months old, brakes are less than a year. only thing im sorta scared about is the clutch. im about 95% sure its still stock. now i got about $400 sitting on the side right now and i can start to buy the parts for a pulley then i just need to save for a tune. should i hold off and wait for the clutch to go or just go ahead and start to buy the parts for the pulley? i know preventative usually wins but i hear guys saying out clutches go out in 15k miles and others 80k

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
yeah its my DD so the less time its down the better. i can steal my g/f's truck for a few days at a time but she would kick me out for any longer lol. im kinda doubting the driver that had it before me (a girl according to the dealer) cause there wasnt a thing done to it but a silly lil mac cai that was causing the car to buck on load.

guess that would lead me to my next question and i dunno if i should make a new thread or not. i changed my own clutch and flywheel on my 95 5.0 and it wasnt too bad so what kind or clutch for just a pulleyed car and are they much harder than the t-5 clutches?

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
yeah its my DD so the less time its down the better. i can steal my g/f's truck for a few days at a time but she would kick me out for any longer lol. im kinda doubting the driver that had it before me (a girl according to the dealer) cause there wasnt a thing done to it but a silly lil mac cai that was causing the car to buck on load.

guess that would lead me to my next question and i dunno if i should make a new thread or not. i changed my own clutch and flywheel on my 95 5.0 and it wasnt too bad so what kind or clutch for just a pulleyed car and are they much harder than the t-5 clutches?

I always love when the dealer says a girl or old man owned it. Well if that old man was my dad guess what that thing has been beat to shit. LOL

I say have somone feel your clutch that has some experience with stock and aftermarked clutches. Someone on here perhaps and then take it from there. There is a difference in clutch feel for sure. Mine got softer with the spec 3+.

Unoid

Libertarian Massa
Aug 30, 2004
Look folks another black vert as a DD :)

If you feel teh clutch i starting to give then get new clutch if not... go with the pulley and tune. When you dyno you'll be able to see if your clutch is slipping.

If its starting to slip then just don't go WOT around the place driving and save for the clutch .

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well the thing that would really kill me would be to do the pulley and tune and while on the dyno the clutch starts to slip then ill have to come back and cant go boost til i get the new clutch in then find time/money to do the dyno and tune again. i always had a spec 3 on my 5.0 and it was stiff as hell. if anyone wants to take my car for a drive to see how it is (it feels fine and has never slipped to my knowledge) but it probably sounds like it should be done purely with the miles on it anyways. so spec 3+ ones are pretty good for our cars? like i said its my DD so i dont wanna have a super stick clutch again cause my left leg was about 3x bigger with that old clutch in traffic.

btw, there was a number the dealer gave to me to call the old owner about the warranty info so at least the last person to own it was a girl :)

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
well the thing that would really kill me would be to do the pulley and tune and while on the dyno the clutch starts to slip then ill have to come back and cant go boost til i get the new clutch in then find time/money to do the dyno and tune again. i always had a spec 3 on my 5.0 and it was stiff as hell. if anyone wants to take my car for a drive to see how it is (it feels fine and has never slipped to my knowledge) but it probably sounds like it should be done purely with the miles on it anyways. so spec 3+ ones are pretty good for our cars? like i said its my DD so i dont wanna have a super stick clutch again cause my left leg was about 3x bigger with that old clutch in traffic.

btw, there was a number the dealer gave to me to call the old owner about the warranty info so at least the last person to own it was a girl :)

Thats good at least you picked a good car to buy.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
The spec 3+ is a good clutch if you know you will be pushing 600 to the wheels one day, it has a 800 pound tq capability. If you dont plan on it try the centerforce DFX also another great clutch. Spec 3+ plus is very agressive it does chatter a bit on me. Any clutch other than stock will probably have liter pedal feel other than the twin disc I dont have any experience with those.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info