• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

IRS 14mm bolt install

Muller857

Money Pit
Dec 10, 2007
Hey guys, I posted last month about a noise i was hearing once in a while from the rear of my car. I ordered the 14mm bolts from MM to replace the wrong 12mm bolts that connect the Front lower irs mount to the rear subframe. I also did the low profile to rear bolts while i was in there. I figured this would be easy to do but couldnt find any pics of it. So below is the 101 version. This is fairly easy and took about an hour and a half to do both sides.

Jack the rear of the car up and place a jack stand under each side of the rear sub frame. Being sure to leave room to get to the Irs subframe bolts you are replacing. Of course place blocks in front of the front tires.

DSC02240-vi.jpg

This is a picture of the low profile top irs bolt installed. Just remove the original and install the new one, i think i used a 3/16 hex socket, but its actually 8mm. If the Irs subframe sags and the bolt is hard to get out or in, jack the frame up to relieve some stress off the bolt.
DSC02213-vi.jpg

Now on to the lower bolts. Here you can see the jackstand is under the subframe and out of the way. This worked fine but im sure there are different places to hold the car up, just dont use the irs to do it.

DSC02215-vi.jpg

Place the jack under the irs frame to support it when you remove the 12mm bolt. And to help align the holes to install the 14mm bolt.
DSC02216-vi.jpg

Here you can see the head of the 12mm bolt on the other side of the subframe. A 18mm socket and extension is what you need for this. And I used a 18mm box wrench for the nut side.
DSC02217-vi.jpg

Once the nut is off you can use a punch or screw driver to tap the old bolt out.
DSC02219-vi.jpg

Here you can see my old bolts were smaller than the new ones. This made me feel good because up untill now i wasnt even sure if i had the wrong bolts on my car. Now after everything i have read through, I think about 90 percent of them had the 12mm bolts.
DSC02220-vi.jpg

Now with the hole empty you will see its probably not perfectly aligned, so i used a punch to line it back up and a I had a my helper adjust the jack.
DSC02222-vi.jpg

DSC02223-vi.jpg

This worked on the other side, but that wasnt the case on this side so i used a big flat head to pry the irs frame to the front of the car and the bolt slid through.
DSC02236-vi.jpg

The new nut for the 14mm bolt is bigger, i used a 13/16
DSC02238-vi.jpg

Here is everything in perspective, you can see the new 14mm bolt on the right side and where the jack was. Hope this will help. Jason

Muller857

Money Pit
Dec 10, 2007
The new bolt is bigger in diameter, 2mm bigger. The holes were designed for 14mm bolts but 12mm were installed because of a mistake somewhere at the factory, from what i understand. This can cause a little noise in the rear end of the car, or be the last ingredient to a broken half shaft. Changing the bolt is one more way to lessen the slop of the irs.

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
its pretty amazing how ford designed the irs to bolt right in aand be even halfway decent. but when i had mine out doing the solid you really understand how much more shit the irs has. just put some level 5s and a diff brace on it and you be pretty much worry free with the irs

great write up BTW

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
its pretty amazing how ford designed the irs to bolt right in aand be even halfway decent. but when i had mine out doing the solid you really understand how much more shit the irs has. just put some level 5s and a diff brace on it and you be pretty much worry free with the irs

great write up BTW

disagree, all a brace does is limit the amount of schrapnel that scatters after you blow your shit up. like a scatter gaurd..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info