• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Out of friggin nowhere..........

Common

Regular
Feb 13, 2008
My belt took a shit today and took the small idler next to the crank pulley with it.

On my way from gym today, driving on the freeway, I just hear metal clunk and my car feel funny as hell, I look behind and see my belt in my rear view mirror bouncing on the road ***** my belt just got shreded*, my low baterry light comes on and I make it home since I was about 2 miles away.
Come home and pop the hood, I see the idler pulley next to the crank pulley missing a friggin chunk off of it. Maybe a half inch chunk.
Now I need that pulley and belt I already have since it was planned to be changed sooner than later.
Question now: I understand belt get schreded all the time, mine was due since there is about 12k on it I think. But how come the pulley came appart that easy?
Oh and I hear small clicking noise at the gym, I knew it was from my old belt but didn't know it would go out so fast.
I need that diagram on how to run the belt please. I am pretty sure i can route it correct but want to make sure. Thx much in advance.

Pics coming as soon as I figure out whats wrong with photobucket today.
0329081434.jpg

Replace all three small idlers now?

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
The stock idlers (especially the one by the crank) are known to fail like that. I know it has happened to a couple members here before. I am sure that is what destroyed the belt.

Replace it (and all the stock ilders) with a quality pullies, like the Billetflow ones. :biggthump

As for routing the belt, that is pretty easy... If the pulley has groves, then the groove side of the belt rides against the pulley, if it is smooth then the back of the belt rides against it. Hope that makes sense.

Common

Regular
Feb 13, 2008
The stock idlers (especially the one by the crank) are known to fail like that. I know it has happened to a couple members here before. I am sure that is what destroyed the belt.

Replace it (and all the stock ilders) with a quality pullies, like the Billetflow ones. :biggthump

As for routing the belt, that is pretty easy... If the pulley has groves, then the groove side of the belt rides against the pulley, if it is smooth then the back of the belt rides against it. Hope that makes sense.

Exactly what I was thinking. Now, does billetflow sell these three idlers I need in stock size?

Since I already have the belt and all.

I need ONLY these three. Snub 100mm idler was replaced 2 weeks ago and the sc pulley is bltflow and fine.

0329081523.jpg

Common

Regular
Feb 13, 2008
As the other guys are saying, the pulley broke and took out the belt. From personal experience, I know the stock pulleys are junk. Two of them failed on my car. BilletFlow pulleys are 100% better. Call them and order the whole set, even one to replace the new one if it is a stock pulley.

Oh for sure. I already have a biletfloow sc pulley and the rr snub idler. I was ONLY interested in replacing the three idlers. Alt pulley is fine and need no replacing as well.

Thx for your input.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Oh for sure. I already have a biletfloow sc pulley and the rr snub idler. I was ONLY interested in replacing the three idlers. Alt pulley is fine and need no replacing as well.

Thx for your input.

Dont sell yourself short when you get the idlers make sure you get the double bearing ones i went thru the same shit with the stockers ever since going to the double bearings havent had one issue:biggthump

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info