• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

return fuel system

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
my suggestion is calling a vendor like lethal performance and have them piece a kit together for you, thats what i did. another option that you have that i wish i had at the time is glenns performance offers a complete kit. it all depends on what your goals and needs are.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
anybody running a return system on their cobra? what are the necessary parts?,can you make one using the stock fuel rails. i have a cobra tank with modified fuel hat for return system.do you still have to use the fpdm or rail sensor.any input welcome.

i dont think you can use the stock cobra rails in a return system.

First, you need to select the type of pump(s) you'll need, this is ultimately determined by your HP goals. Then, you need to decide intank or inline pumps, if youre using a cobra hat, you'll most likely use intank pumps. Then select the size of the fuel line, many have taken the stock fuel lines to pretty high HP numbers, and many select AN line (-8, -10, -12). You'll need a fuel pressure regulator with 1:1 boost reference for a power adder application, and a shitload of AN fittings and lots of line.

FPDM is gone as it no longer controls the voltage to your pumps, and FRPS is optional, some keep it, some dont, I deleted it because its just one less thing to worry about, and thats the beauty of a return system, constant fuel pressure and volume, much safer and easier to tune. When its set up correctly, there should be NO need for BAP's, etc.

Hope this helps

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Return is not too hard to go to. Just tear all the old stuff out from the pumps, lines, rails and FRPS. Then select what pump(s) you want to run based upon what kind of horsepower you want to make and keep going from there with modifying the pump hat. Then determine what fuel line you want to go with and blah blah blah. There is no set combo here. Allot of different approaches work.

When I swapped to my custom return system I made a custom pump hat from scratch. I mounted dual Walbro GSS340's on that and run dual -8 lines to the front of the vehicle with a crossover to pre-equalize pressure to both banks. Then I ran each -8 line to the front of the new Steeda rails and ran -8 from the rear of the rails to an Aeromotive A-1000 regulator. Then it was -6 for the return back to the pump hat and into the tank. Then just wire in a dedicated relay (or reuse the stock fuel pump relay). If you want to retain your fuel safety inertia switch then you will wire that in series with power to the relay for the pumps.

I do not feel that setting your own fuel system up is a really hard task to accomplish but some do find it challenging. If you are confident in your abilities then do it yourself. If you are not then pay someone else to do it.

Aug 26, 2007
This is what the guy who built my car had to do to keep it a return-style....I copy and pasted this from the info I have on my cars build.
My setup will include: JLT 12" CAI, SCT Big Air MAF, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump, Aeromotive 03 Cobra fuel rails, Aeromotive FPR, and BOSH 42LB injectors (39ers shown in pic). There is no MAF to Injector matching required (most people think that is required), during chip burn MAF and Injector sizing info is given to the Ford Computer, which then calculates fuel metering accordingly. The 03 Cobra fuel system is returnless, where the 97 Cobra uses the superior return-style fuel system. To use the 03 intake with the 97 fuel system I chose to use aftermarket fuel rails and FPR. The in-tank pump sends pressurized fuel through the stock hard line to the engine compartment, fuel is then routed into the back of the rails, return fuel flows out the front of the rails & into the FPR, then back to the stock return line. Expect to pay about $900+ for the fuel system parts required to set up the 03 S/C intake as a return-style system

allgo

Regular
Nov 22, 2006
I would go return for sure, I run a weldon 2025 with a step down box. dont call lethal and have them put a kit together unless you like being rapped. I used a glenn performance tank with sump, cpr fuel rails and I am pretty sure you can use the stock rails you just got to get a fitting that goes on the end of the stock rail.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info