• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Windshield wipers stopping in middle of windshield

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
This is a pretty silly problem, but I'm not too sure how to go about fixing it.

On my 2003 Cobra, whenever I use my wipers in "intermittent" mode, they will sometimes stop the middle of the windshield instead of at the bottom of their stroke like they're supposed to.

This will happen on both the upward stroke or downward stroke and there is no consistency to it. If I turn the wipers to the full "ON" position, they work fine, until I go to turn them off, then it's a crap-shoot on whether they will settle back down or get stuck.

Not sure if it's related, but this all started on that really crappy day we had about a month ago where we got all that ice and about 18 inches of snow. The wipers movement was never constricted by ice (I would never let that happen), but I had to dig my car out of a parking space with a shovel that day.

I accidentally ended up getting the wiper stalk on the steering wheel column a little wet since my hands were covered in snow from digging. Not sure if that caused any damage. The way the stalk is constructed, I wouldn't think it would, but who knows.

This is actually the first "real" problem I've had with the car that wasn't normal wear and tear or caused by open-track racing.

How should I go about fixing this? What do you recommend I check?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
The pinpoint tests are beyond the scope of my patience to type in an entire chapter out of the service manual. Short answer is to find someone with a STAR/NGS tester and scan the GEM for trouble codes. Long answer is to measure the resistance through the wiper switch, the circuit between the junction boxes and the switch/pump, and the pump itself.

The GEM senses ignition switch position too in this context.

The function that parks the wipers is usually built into the pump, but the switch is probably the most likely culprit.

isolate and test
isolate and test
isolate and test

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
What's even funnier is, I dont even know if my winshield wipers even work. I have never used them since the car was brand new. Matter of fact, the original washer fluid from the factory is still in the resevoir if it didnt all evaporate by now.

Hahaha, mine didnt even have wipers. I took them bitches off

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
The pinpoint tests are beyond the scope of my patience to type in an entire chapter out of the service manual. Short answer is to find someone with a STAR/NGS tester and scan the GEM for trouble codes. Long answer is to measure the resistance through the wiper switch, the circuit between the junction boxes and the switch/pump, and the pump itself.

Christ. It might be easier to just buy a whole new car. :D

I'll have to fiddle with it this weekend. Hopefully it's something obvious.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info