• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Another wheel bearing failure

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I heard the whirring from the driver's side front wheel and sure enough, another wheel bearing was failing. That makes 1 rear and 3 fronts in the 5 years I've owned the car. WTF! C'mon, Ford, put some quality back into those things. They should last more than a few years.

I yanked the old one and put a replacement on today. At least it was a front bearing which is easier than the rear to replace.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
1. Are you using Ford OEM wheel bearings?

2. Are you torquing down the spindle nut to spec?

Kevin

Kevin, the first three to fail were Ford OEM bearings. The last one was a replacement. The one I picked up now is supposed to be OEM quality. We'll see how long it lasts. Per Ford, I torque the nuts to 240 lbs/ft.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Kevin, the first three to fail were Ford OEM bearings. The last one was a replacement. The one I picked up now is supposed to be OEM quality. We'll see how long it lasts. Per Ford, I torque the nuts to 240 lbs/ft.

Interesting........The only other advice I could give you, is make sure the mounting surface is completely flat and rust free!

Kevin

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
I had lost a wheel bearing while I still owned the car and it only had around 7000 miles on it. My Ford Taurus is in the shop again, a 2002 ... since selling the cobra - new tie rods, ball joints, cam timing sensor, rear tires and suspension (rear suspension collapsed and cut the tires) and now I just lost a water pump (replaced in July 2006) and they put a new one in, and the car warms up and then drops to cold, warms up again, drops to cold.. everytime at a stop light. Ugh. Dealer has had the car for 2 days and even changed the thermostat.

The dealer offered to sell me a used Honda, and I asked why not a Ford Focus.. and he's like.... how about this NICE Honda!!!!

I'm done with Ford... Ford makes me broke like a hobo on lower wacker.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
I had lost a wheel bearing while I still owned the car and it only had around 7000 miles on it. My Ford Taurus is in the shop again, a 2002 ... since selling the cobra - new tie rods, ball joints, cam timing sensor, rear tires and suspension (rear suspension collapsed and cut the tires) and now I just lost a water pump (replaced in July 2006) and they put a new one in, and the car warms up and then drops to cold, warms up again, drops to cold.. everytime at a stop light. Ugh. Dealer has had the car for 2 days and even changed the thermostat.

The dealer offered to sell me a used Honda, and I asked why not a Ford Focus.. and he's like.... how about this NICE Honda!!!!

I'm done with Ford... Ford makes me broke like a hobo on lower wacker.

i own 3 fords and dont have there problems! i guess it is just the luck of the draw?

*edit*

the pos cobra did spin a bearing...fuggin JUNK!! lol

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
did u reuse the nut on the front bearings
I believe you are supposed to replace that every time, and most people are too cheap to spend the extra 7 or 8 bux for it, that may be part of the problem.
My friend also pointed out to me the other day that vautozone sells a front hub for our cars with timken bearings(timken= the shit)
maybe someone should try one of these bad boys next time around
51k here with no front wheel bearing issues(crosses fingers)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Make sure you torque it properly (250 lb/ft). Also use loctite.

I've seen torque quoted as either 240 or 250. I wouldn't think 10 lbs. would make much difference. No loctite but any time I've removed the nuts, they have still been firmly tightened and taken a lot of force to break them loose.

I think the wheel alignment or type of grease used in the bearings may be contributing factors. Sutton told me they had a hard time getting the car into alignment so maybe I need to put caster/camber adjusters on.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
One more highjack. Ford put in a new water pump, new thermostat, and $700 later and a week.. they recommend a new heater core. 2002 Taurus SE, 164K miles. So anyway... I am like NO. So I take it to Solar Automotive on cicero and they found fuel in the coolant (chemical test). Long story short:

March 2006 - March 2008
Car: $1800
Repairs: about $10,000 over time, nickel and dime to the death

Current status with new f'in everything: Cylinder heads leaking, head gasket getting ready to blow. I'm having ceramic stuff put in the cooling system to seal it temporarily while I try to get out of some debt and keep the car alive so I can buy a new Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla or Mazda 3. The end.

Mike

ps... Cliff, I know you told me the head gasket would be next a year ago :)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
One more highjack. Ford put in a new water pump, new thermostat, and $700 later and a week.. they recommend a new heater core. 2002 Taurus SE, 164K miles. So anyway... I am like NO. So I take it to Solar Automotive on cicero and they found fuel in the coolant (chemical test). Long story short:

March 2006 - March 2008
Car: $1800
Repairs: about $10,000 over time, nickel and dime to the death

Current status with new f'in everything: Cylinder heads leaking, head gasket getting ready to blow. I'm having ceramic stuff put in the cooling system to seal it temporarily while I try to get out of some debt and keep the car alive so I can buy a new Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla or Mazda 3. The end.

Mike

ps... Cliff, I know you told me the head gasket would be next a year ago :)

Don't worry Mike. I won't say I told you to sell it. :D

Sorry to hear about the continuing problems. I hope you have better luck with a future purchase.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
i hate to pee in your cheerios, but a car with 164k miles is bound to have something go wrong
not saying 10k in problems is normal,
and many cars go well past 164 without any major problems, but the new hondas, and especially toyotas have been having some significant quality issues,
if you wanna buy a toyota that will last forever, i would say the older the better to be totally honest

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
i hate to pee in your cheerios, but a car with 164k miles is bound to have something go wrong
not saying 10k in problems is normal,
and many cars go well past 164 without any major problems, but the new hondas, and especially toyotas have been having some significant quality issues,
if you wanna buy a toyota that will last forever, i would say the older the better to be totally honest

Between 118k and 150k I went through THREE transmissions. I had a new water pump in July 2006, and that thing is gone already. I never heard of a car having a suspension collapse that cuts the rear tires. 160k = new tie rods, ball joints, struts, springs and other crap. There's a lot more but I won't get into it :)

Mike

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info