• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

I'm getting a whipple, need some advice.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
So here I am with my 03 cobra ready to begin modding, bone stock to the paper filter and factory goodyears. At first I considered getting a catback, K&N, 2.80 pullie and a tune I figured 450-460ish would be allright until I get used to the power( I bought the car late in the fall so I still need a lot of seat time)
But you know what? fuck it, Im getting twin screwed!
So this is the plan, Im getting the 2.3 whipple, a catback(I dont know what brand yet) and K&N FIPK to begin with, I want to do it in stages so I'd like to run the whipple at 13psi, I did a little reaserch and found out you can run the whipple at 13psi without all the supporting mods with a safe tune, Id like to start with this for two reasons, one being budget and the other Id like to grow with the power levels a little at a time. Do you guys see any issues with this set-up to start with?
will the stock MAF hold up?
Can the stock fuel system handle it? if Im not mistaken whipple sells the kit as an upgrade with no need of fuel improvements.
I know Ill need a better clutch and and some attention to the IRS.
Do you guys know what HP can be acheived with the whipple at 13 Psi?
And also I'd like to know how hard is it to swap blowers, I'd say I have intermidiate mechanical abilities, Ive done H/C/I on 5.0's but this is my first modular mustang that I will be messing with so I'd apprecite any advice.
Down the road I plan on getting all the supporting mods(60's, GT pumps, Idlers, heat exchanger, SCT MAF) If for some reason I didnt feel brave enough to take on it, where is a good place to have it installed? and what am I looking at for labor?
Thanks in advance.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I agree with what Randy is saying with his post, which is to do it the other way around. Get all the supporting mods and throw a pulley on the Eaton then save money for the Whipple/KB. A Whipple at 13 psi will be slower/less powerful than a pullied Eaton. Get an Exhaust, Intake (K&N is fine), BAP for the stock pumps, a good tune and start looking for a good deal on 60 lb. injectors (no need to install now and easier to install with the twin screw anyway). When you're ready to get serious, toss a twin screw and the injectors on and get another good tune. You'll also probably need clutch upgrades by this time.

It's the route I took and I'd do it the same way if I had to do it over.

My $0.02.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
a whipple pullied for 13psi will make less HP down low and definetely less tq... reason being that you are not spinning the blower in the sweet spot. The larger blowers (anything bigger then the stock eaton) act like a centri blower when not spun fast.. they are sensitive with having a sweet spot..

regardless, if you do go this route, i would say pulley it for 15psi and get a mafia and BAP... should make 525 on a very conservative tune.. my .02 ..

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
The car is gonna be a weekend/track car not a daily driver and I'd eventually like to get to the magic 600 number, figured if I have the money right now I could get the blower instead of going thru the pullie phase.

I went thru the pulley phase and if I had to do it all over again I wouldnt....you want to get to the 600hp mark it would say just get it all done at once imo.....you are going to throw the Whipple on at 13lbs pay the labor on that and then have it tuned $$$...then you are wanting to throw more boost at it get bigger injectors so then pay someone again to pull off the blower throw on bigger injectors and get it retuned more $$$$. I say that from experience of going from pulley to pulley and tuning and retuning and I spent alot of $$$$ for that. Rather than just getting all done at the same time....Im running 17lbs on the Whipple with 60lbs and a mafia with some other crap and have been running this setup for over a year and no problems.....as far as the IRS setup...I havent had any problems with mine I did install sub frame connectors and IRS bushings and that cured my wheel hop and helped me hook up better....I have 50K+ miles on my IRS and no problems....but then again I dont lanch of the line and or take it to the track...but alot of the guys in here have gotten lots of track time on their IRS before it went south on them

Tom

aka T_Factor
May 21, 2005
Here and There
-snip- Id like to start with this for two reasons, one being budget and the other Id like to grow with the power levels a little at a time. -snip-

Game plan...

1) Overall budget for this beast?
2) Realistic # of stages to get from Point A (stock) to Point B (600RWHP)?
3) Realistic $ available per stage?

Example:

5 stages

Stage 1) End of Feb. $1000
Stage 2) Middle of Mar. $1500
etc...

Stangfreak91

TCG Elite Member
Dec 5, 2004
I'm not the most knowledgeable guy here! I'm just a poor sap with a slow cobra (ask jiggy:clap:). I been on csvt,modfords,svtp,md, reading and learning way before I bought a Cobra and one thing I learned, you mod a car in the same fashion you dress yourself in the morning! You don't put your hat on first! You put your draws on first! one leg at a time. And listening and learning from the guys thats been there and done it, might save you alot of money headache and frustation because your 600 RWHP car don't run 10's! I know 10's Cobra's don't happen overnight with the internet and a credit card takes alot more than that.

Good luck and keeps us in da loop!

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I'm not the most knowledgeable guy here! I'm just a poor sap with a slow cobra (ask jiggy:clap:). I been on csvt,modfords,svtp,md, reading and learning way before I bought a Cobra and one thing I learned, you mod a car in the same fashion you dress yourself in the morning! You don't put your hat on first! You put your draws on first! one leg at a time. And listening and learning from the guys thats been there and done it, might save you alot of money headache and frustation because your 600 RWHP car don't run 10's! I know 10's Cobra's don't happen overnight with the internet and a credit card takes alot more than that.

Good luck and keeps us in da loop!
Nice analogy Randy. :biggthump

The OP is asking the right questions and hopefully will make the right decisions. What works on these cars is not exactly a mystery. There are several ways to make big power and they've all been proven out. You just need to decide how you want to approach it (like T-Factor was pointing out) and what you're goals (both interim and final) are for the car.

Developing a logical plan is even more important if you don't have an endless supply of $$$.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Thank you for all your suggestions, I kinda like what Bob suggested, so at 15psi all I would need is a BAP and Mafia? no need for the GT pumps or 60's yet or the other fuel mods? I'd say the total budget for the car will be $6k, any other thoughts on this setup?
Thanks

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
Thank you for all your suggestions, I kinda like what Bob suggested, so at 15psi all I would need is a BAP and Mafia? no need for the GT pumps or 60's yet or the other fuel mods? I'd say the total budget for the car will be $6k, any other thoughts on this setup?
Thanks

honestly, for that budget, i could get you into the blower, 60lbs inj, mafia, bap, and tune.... then you could make 550-575 depending on how aggressive the tune was..

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Well, I decided to go the pulley route first,I bought Erdal's old catback a prochamber, K&N FIPK, and MGW shifter, I want to address the car's other weak points first before I get a TS, finally today we got the 2.76 pulley installed with the 100mm snub idler I picked up at speed inc. Big Thank you to Victor for helping me with the pulley installation and a great deal on the pulley, I also picked up a pair of 275-40-17 mickey's at speed inc. I hope that cures most of the wheel hop, next is the Billetflow IRS brace since I have to get my diff. re-sealed. here is some pics. Oh! and we were pleasently surprised to find that the stock belt worked great with this pulley and idler.
001-4.jpg

002-4.jpg

004-4.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info