• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Guys with 4.56's

lou cypher

New Guy
Jul 2, 2007
Just got some 4.56's installed, to go along with a FRPP 31 spline diff, 31 spline axles, and a Trick Flow girdle. All of it was professionaly installed using all new bearings,seals and ARP hardware. Haven't got a chance to drive it yet (going to pick it up in a little while). My question to guys who have experience driving cobras with 4.56's is..... Just how noisy can I expect the 4.56's to be??? Everyone I've talked to say that even with a perfect gear install lower gear ratios tend be a little noisy. Is this true?? Or is it just install shops trying to cover there own asses in case the gear install is noisy?? Your input on this would be greatly appreciated.

lou cypher

New Guy
Jul 2, 2007
Just got back from picking up the car...not satisfied at all !!! Car has a lot of gear whine. Expected some increase in noise from the 4.10's I was replacing but, I get the feeling that this gear doesn't have backlash or pinion depth set up properly. Not a happy camper right now!!!

lou cypher

New Guy
Jul 2, 2007
* edited until I speak to them* They're a great bunch of guys over there, just not happy with the gear whine I've got. I've posted the same question about 4.56's being very noisy on two other forums. All the responses say the same thing, that a properly installed gear will make no noise/whine, No matter how low of a ratio it is. I'll have to give them a call Monday morning and see what they say/do about this.

3v2000GT

TCG Elite Member
May 7, 2007
Straightline performance in New Lenox. They're a great bunch of guys over there, just not happy with the gear whine I've got. I've posted the same question about 4.56's being very noisy on two other forums. All the responses say the same thing, that a properly installed gear will make no noise/whine, No matter how low of a ratio it is. I'll have to give them a call Monday morning and see what they say/do about this.

that sucks, I wonder if they even drove it after they did the install. hopefully they will fix things. Next time you get anything in the drivetrain done PM me I know a guy. great work and even better prices.

Perfect gear for the 4v!

390's or 4.10's is as high as I will go.

I have 3.89's in my 9"

i dont know when I drove your car it just wasn't fun spinning like crazy right off the bat, maybe its because of your blower and bald tires:dunno:

drenath

Low MPH - Rand Road Crew
Jul 25, 2005
390's or 4.10's is as high as I will go.

i dont know when I drove your car it just wasn't fun spinning like crazy right off the bat, maybe its because of your blower and bald tires:dunno:
Don't know all that much about your car but suffice to say that your cam'd + stroked 3v + TKO setup is quite a bit different than a stock 4v. What's that beast rev up to?

The boost comes on instantly with the Eaton. You can't drive it like an NA car, it takes a little getting used to. I basically make peak torque whenever the pedal hits the floor, so it's real good at blowing up tires if you just stab it.

I don't think I was on a good tire back then either. The nittos would hook in first on the street.

BTW, still got those flows? XD

lou cypher

New Guy
Jul 2, 2007
As I said in my previous post, I'm going to talk to them on Monday morning about this. I"m not bad mouthing them at all, as I said before, they are a great bunch of guys, and I had a lot of fun at their shop during the install. I went there 'cause they have a pretty good reputation around the Chicago area. They came highly recommended to me by a cousin of mine who gets his 400HP '02 WS6 tuned there. Just not crazy about the gear whine my car now has. I will give them every opportunity to fix it if there is a problem. I repeat, I'm not bad mouthing anyone or any shop. I was just looking for some advice from people more knowledgeable in gear installs than maybe I am. This is first time I've ever had such a low gear on a car. Just looking for experienced opinions.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
Not the case on my end. I have had many different types of gears going back years in all my mustangs and imo the higher you go the louder the gear is. From what I have been told is that its the way the gears are cut like Chirs said and how reputable the gear is. Personally speaking and having had Richmonds, Motives, FRPP, they do whine while others are more non noticebale.

If your gear is installed or not back lashed correctly, you will hear alot more then a whine or humming! I dont know Straight Line at all but my guess is they prolly did it right unless they had a TOTAL NOOB working on it. Doubt that also! Gears are pretty easy if you have the right tools and experience.

EDIT: Perfect choice for N/A 4V imo also!

3v2000GT

TCG Elite Member
May 7, 2007
Don't know all that much about your car but suffice to say that your cam'd + stroked 3v + TKO setup is quite a bit different than a stock 4v. What's that beast rev up to?

The boost comes on instantly with the Eaton. You can't drive it like an NA car, it takes a little getting used to. I basically make peak torque whenever the pedal hits the floor, so it's real good at blowing up tires if you just stab it.

I don't think I was on a good tire back then either. The nittos would hook in first on the street.

BTW, still got those flows? XD

Yeah it was probably cuz of the tires. I would love to get a lane with you.

so about those flows... since I am school and we moved out of my house last fall my brother threw them out.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
Also I had Motives and they were the worst (loudest) gears to date....

FRPP now uses an updated cnc single pass cut process and also does a backcut on the pinion gear to reduce whine. The new ones are designated by an A after the part number. If you get the FRPP gears with the M designation they will likely whine. Why? Because they are made for Ford by - Guess who! - Motive!

drenath

Low MPH - Rand Road Crew
Jul 25, 2005
Yeah it was probably cuz of the tires. I would love to get a lane with you.

so about those flows... since I am school and we moved out of my house last fall my brother threw them out.
you got a lane man let's do it! my best pass on nittos is is attached to my posts here

damn. wish i woulda known those flows were on a lot of cars.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
Here is some tech videos including gear whine issues on a 8.8..
Also check out episode 8...lol

http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4

Intresting read.

However, stock / factory ring sets will not have a whine or shouldnt. Recalls, recalls and more recalls would be seen if factory vehicles had this noise. Thats why factory warrantys are VOID if aftermarket gears are installed and for other reasons of course.

The Whine vs no whine has been a debate like Ford Vs chevy. Its been beaten to death over and over and everyone will have their own opinion as to whats right and whats wrong.

If gears whine, it doesnt mean they are installed incorrect. Some materials have harmonics to them. Theres a big difference between the whine you hear with a incorrect install, a bearing whine, or the whine of a "noisy" set of gears. They are all distinct. It takes a trained ear to distinguish. You can have a accel whine, a decel whine, or just a plain old whine.

Gears marked other than Ford may be noisey.

I will agree 100% that if any part of the assembly is not installed correct you will experience whine or worse also.Thats a given on any assembly.

LOU:
What part number do you have for the gears? Who makes them? Again look at my above post about the part numbers ending in M-A if they are FRPP. This will forsure help determine whats going on. Ending in M means MOTIVE and if you look at Motives website they have detailed install tech instructions that differ slightly from Fords. DOnt ask me why but they do. THis may also be a issues to look at because of the difference. It may well be a install issue from Motive vs Ford vs the tech installer or other.

Its just all guessing till you have Straightline go through it again. My bet is that you are hearing what many others do from a properly installed aftermarket gear getting some harmonic feedback. Like Jeff said above his whine did noticably went away after time. If you have a incorrectly installed assembly over time it will get worse not better.

Another thing is that you cant just jump in and rip through the gears untill they break in and mesh right. What you should have been told is... Heat cycles - drive easy for 10-15 minutes to heat them up, then park it for a few hours to allow it to cool. Do this 3-5 times and then take it easy driving for the first week to be absolutely safe. If not broken in corretcly you will damage the new install thus causing any of the above mentioned issues.

Edit:
Another thing to consider is that many guys who may not expeirence this slight whine may not be able to hear it do to the aftermarket exhust drone in the car. I know my car is not quiet and I couldnt detect a whine in my gears for the life of me unless I was running Richmonds or Motives :) And just by me saying that does not mean by any means they are bad gears! Just a bit noisier over others is all.

A vibration is more to worrie about then a whine imo.

Please update when you get back from the shop so we all know whats up eh.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info