• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Optima battery size?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I picked up an Optima yellow top battery last night and attempted to install it in my Cobra. Turns out the battery doesn't fit into the battery box. It is about 1/4" too long. I was wondering if any of you have Optimas in your cars and if so, did you have to modify the battery box?

Auto Zone had a hard time finding the battery so I am wondering if they may have taken an available one that is the wrong size. I'd rather find out for sure before I cut up the battery box. The one I have is part number D34-78. Model number 3478DT.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I did some searching and found out that other guys have had the same fitment problem with the 34-78. Answers included switching to a smaller Optima or cutting the battery tray. Modifying the battery hold down or getting an optional hold down from Optima was also required. I may just return the Optima and get an Auto Zone Duralast Gold which has a 3 year free replacement and 8 year pro rated warranty. It may not have the deep cycle abilities of the Optima but with that warranty, it should be a good battery... and it will fit without modifications.

Vobraman

Addict
Jul 15, 2005
Cliff,
I started a thread on modfords and was told that on a red top the part number is SC34U, and its the battery with 730 CCA. there is a small insert that goes with it and it fits in the stock tray. The reds have 2 different size batteries and one does not fit. Not sure about the yellow top. Hope that helps.

RAPER

Regular
Jan 12, 2008
Rockford-ish
yellow tops are deep cycle and are deffinitly on the large size. when I put the yellow top in my 00 gt forever ago i made a new battery tie down brace. You really have no need for the yellow unless you're running some major audio equipment in there. I suggest getting the redtop and saving yourself a bunch of hassle unless you really need the benefits of deep cycle.. but that's just my .02 cents

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I decided to go with the Duralast. It's much cheaper and has a better warranty than the red top. Drops right into the car without any modifications. Plus, while looking for sizing info, I read several threads today on Optima failures and that has me a little concerned as to the quality control with Optima batteries. Some guys love them but some guys [like Doug] have nothing but problems. Thanks for the help, guys.

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
i dont like big batts. so i got a small one lol

img0209ik9.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info