• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

wheel spacers on our cars

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well, i had a pair of 30mm on my old 95 gt. i loooooved the look of them. there is no way for me to get wider wheels anytime in the near future so im thinking of the easy way right now. is anyone running the heliocentric ones? if so, which ones and overall, are they safe with our car's power/torque?

i had a problem with my old set because i was in a hurry one day putting them on before work and i didnt put them on tight enough and i had my rear wheel pop off at about 50mph on a turn. scary f'n moment but i know now that id tighten them like no other and make sure they are tight every few weeks just to be sure. just want to make sure there isnt much danger of shearing bolts or just ripping off because of the power we make

ANIMAL

Did I ever tell you.....
Sep 2, 2006
No problems at all! :biggthump
I've been using them for years when I have to use my stock rims.
What I do is I use a torque wrench at the LOWER range of the recommended settings and I always bolt down in a star pattern.
Then I drive the car a little aggressively for a few miles and then go back and torque them down again at the HIGHEST recommended settings in the same star pattern again.
Make sure you go through the star pattern at least 2 or 3 times untill there is no more movement from the lugs.
I check them once in awhile, but I havn't had one come loose yet. :)

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well im sold again....im very scared of them cause im scarred from my incident before. not fun. but ill be waaaay more sure with them this time around. now about quality. should i go eibach or the semi-cheap ones on ebay? there is like a $100 difference between them

ANIMAL

Did I ever tell you.....
Sep 2, 2006
well im sold again....im very scared of them cause im scarred from my incident before. not fun. but ill be waaaay more sure with them this time around. now about quality. should i go eibach or the semi-cheap ones on ebay? there is like a $100 difference between them

Mine are the H&R's from Maximum Motorsports.
I wouldn't trust an unknown name to something like this.
I know people who use the cheap ones on their show cars, but I wouldn't trust them with the way I drive.

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
Mine are the H&R's from Maximum Motorsports.
I wouldn't trust an unknown name to something like this.
I know people who use the cheap ones on their show cars, but I wouldn't trust them with the way I drive.

I also run them. The only problem i came across was i had to cut the stock wheels studs so the rim would fit flush. The rear pic is with a M/T 275. I have more pics if you want.

Lugshave.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Rearspace.jpg

ANIMAL

Did I ever tell you.....
Sep 2, 2006
anyone got any ideas that would look best for my stocker 17x9 with the 275 tires? i want it to line up as close to the wheel well line as possible. plus i dont want to go too big so throw some numbers at me :)

I don't know cause your car has different track width than mine, and I ran smaller wheels too. :dunno:
Just put a straightedge and ruler up to your fender and measure the distance from sidewall to straightedge.
Then subtract a few mm's and see what sizes are in that range.
Hope this helps.

P.S. Since your going to use 9" rims on a terminator, I'm pretty sure you'll have to cut the factory studs, or use smaller spacers with extended studs. FYI.

ANIMAL

Did I ever tell you.....
Sep 2, 2006
ive heard that before. just curious why because all it is doing is moving the wheel out a little bit. or am i missing something?

Because, if you use spacers with their own studs installed like mine and CobraChris's, you would have to use something like a 1 1/2" spacer just to clear the factory studs, which would probably stick your 9" wide rim out of the wheel well (bad).
So, you need to use something a little thinner, but would have to cut the studs to clear the wheel's mounting surface (look at Chris's pics).

Unfortunately the factory studs don't have threads all the way up the stud, so if you use a standard 1/4"-1/2" spacer the factory studs won't have enough threads left on the stud to really secure the wheel (again bad), which would necessitate the use of longer aftermarket studs.

Hope this helps. :D
If you want, you can PM me if my explaination doesn't make sense.

03 Cobra

Jul 26, 2005
Spacers

Hey i have an 03 Cobra as well and i use LFP 3/8" HubCentric Wheel spacer kit it is just under $100 shipped. They come with some extended Lug nuts (but no locks so u need to either use you stock locks or find extended locks). I have FR500 18x9 up front and 18x10.5 in the rear im running BGF KDW's 275x35 in front and 295x35 in the rear. Looks great and i have not had a problem. If i remember corectly our cars spec torque for the rims are about 90-100 so i think i just put mine around 105-110. I check them every so often. I did not need to grind any bolts (not even the IRS bolt) or any studs. Good Luck with your search hope you find what you are looking for :headbang:

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well i measured and went with the 30mm. i installed them and everything went great. did not need to cut down the stock bolts because the stock cobra wheels i have on have a recess in the back so at least another 1/2" of bolt could go into it. i think they look great. now i just need to get rid of the free tires that i got put on (245 on a 9" wheel :throwup: ). gotta get something bigger on there sometime soon. could of almost gone a lil bigger but i think the 30mm will look best overall for me. pics to come soon

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info