• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

noise from rear

Muller857

Money Pit
Dec 10, 2007
Hey guys, i just bought Illinisvt's cobra, 03 tenth red coupe. Have had it for a week or so and it has been great, i have heard a little knockin noise once and a while from the back of the car while driving. Tonight the noise has become worse and it happens whenever i am turning over like 10 mph. more when i turn left than right. and its not just one knock now, its few in a row throughout the turn. i am not very familiar with the irs on these cars, i plan on jackin it up tomorrow and takin a look at. Any ideas appreciated, thanks guys Jason

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Jack up under the control arm and see if you can wiggle the wheel & tire assembly. You should not be able to. If you can, check to see where the slop is. If the wheel moves relative to the knuckle, its most likely the wheel bearing and hub (replace both). If the wheel and knuckle move together, it is most likely the toe link rod or its rod ends. Less likely, but still possible, is the uni-ball joint going bad where the control arm meets the knuckle.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Jason, maybe you're hearing the missing weld point between the trunk and the rear 1/4 panel on the passenger side? There was a thread around here somewhere about that, it's a factory issue. I used to hear it occasionally, never enough to bother me though.

Maybe I dropped a socket in the trunk when I was cleaning it out? Possibly down in the spare tire well?

I just changed those rotors on the rear last month, and had the front ones machined. I didn't notice any excess play or linkage problems, I don't think that's it.

Muller857

Money Pit
Dec 10, 2007
I bet its the bolt issue with the lower control arms. I will check them out tomorrow night after work. what bolts should i replace them with? Kevin, you told me about that 1/4 panel weld problem, i hear that once in a while but this was different and just started yesterday. otherwise the car is great. i cant wait to get a little traction when the its gets warmer out.

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
Jack up under the control arm and see if you can wiggle the wheel & tire assembly. You should not be able to. If you can, check to see where the slop is. If the wheel moves relative to the knuckle, its most likely the wheel bearing and hub (replace both). If the wheel and knuckle move together, it is most likely the toe link rod or its rod ends. Less likely, but still possible, is the uni-ball joint going bad where the control arm meets the knuckle.

Where the hell have you been hiding?
Welcome back!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info