• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

03 Convertable / O/R Xpipe to loud for exhaust??

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
I read another posting that says our cars will pass emissions with an off road x pipe. Currently my car has a BBK Cold air intake, 2.76 pulley, Magna Flow cat back, Bob Kurgen tune. I have been told the next thing I should do is get an x pipe. Im guessing from what I am reading, I should buy a off road pipe (since it will pass emissions with or without). My question is four parts:

1. Will it trigger a check engine light with no cats?

2. Will I have to get my chip changed?

3. How much power will I gain?

4. Because my car is a convertible, how much louder will it make my exhaust? Currently it is pretty tame, but I do not want it to much louder than now.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
I read another posting that says our cars will pass emissions with an off road x pipe. Currently my car has a BBK Cold air intake, 2.76 pulley, Magna Flow cat back, Bob Kurgen tune. I have been told the next thing I should do is get an x pipe. Im guessing from what I am reading, I should buy a off road pipe (since it will pass emissions with or without). My question is four parts:

1. Will it trigger a check engine light with no cats?

2. Will I have to get my chip changed?

3. How much power will I gain?

4. Because my car is a convertible, how much louder will it make my exhaust? Currently it is pretty tame, but I do not want it to much louder than now.

1. Yes, unless you turn off the rear 02 sensors in the tune or use MIL eliminators.

2. A lot of tuners turn the rear 02 sensors off by default, so I would check with Bob. If not, it is an easy change from what I understand.

3. Not a ton... ~ 10-15 hp.

4. It will be significantly louder.... if volume is a concern, then I would stick with the catted h/x pipes.

Rotzs99

All SHOW no GO
Mar 16, 2006
I would go with the catted x. I have one on my vert and it is nice and healthy but not too loud to give me headaches. Plus i dont get the gas smell. If you want you could buy a catted bassani and later buy some o/r pipes for $25 if you want it louder.

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well im just the opposite as most of the guys here. have my vert with bassani o/r xpipe and magnaflow mufflers welded in. i think its sounds awesome. i owned a 95 gt vert with o/r hpipe and dumps and now that was loud. i dont often smell the exhaust. perhaps i like the exhaust smell too much to notice it but no one has ever really said anything about it.

personally i wouldnt change my exhaust for anything right now because i love it. if you are anywhere near me you are more than welcome for a drive because i have my top down many of times during the winter when it gets to be above 50* :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info