• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Found The Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
well we found the probl;em! it was a bearing on #5 piston! the crank also hit a piece of the oil pan. it looked like there was never any mntce done on the engine! i can tell you as the original owner that i was VERRY DILLIGENT on mntce. i DID however use ROYAL PURPLE SYNTHETIC! i have been doing some reaserch on it and have found some negative reviews. i have 15k on the motor and it looked like an 80k motor inside. some pics...

DSCN5115.jpg

DSCN5114.jpg

DSCN5111.jpg

DSCN5112.jpg

heads were PERFECT!

DSCN5109.jpg

DSCN5113.jpg

DSCN5116.jpg

B

Boost12

I would not even run Syn oil. Its not even worth it. I change my oil after every few passes and always ran Castrol 5w 30 and Ive had NO TROUBLE at all with any of my motors. Changing the oil all the time gets annoying but its cheap insurance.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
I would not even run Syn oil. Its not even worth it. I change my oil after every few passes and always ran Castrol 5w 30 and Ive had NO TROUBLE at all with any of my motors. Changing the oil all the time gets annoying but its cheap insurance.

hans has worked on this car since early 05, he would vouch as to how nuts i am about oil changes. i will DEFINATELY not be using royal purple anymore!!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Good to see u found the problem. Anyone ever think maybe RP gets bad reviews because the only people that think it's worth it to spend the extra $ for it are the ones that abuse their cars the most? If an engine blows @ 10,000 miles, and it spent most of them running down the 1/4.....is it the fault of the oil? i don't think so.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
Good to see u found the problem. Anyone ever think maybe RP gets bad reviews because the only people that think it's worth it to spend the extra $ for it are the ones that abuse their cars the most? If an engine blows @ 10,000 miles, and it spent most of them running down the 1/4.....is it the fault of the oil? i don't think so.

its not a motor issue, its the sludge in the bottom of the pan that is the problem here... it looked like the motor had 75k miles on it... RP has had a history of issues similar to this.

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
well i guess ill never use royal purple! i think its funny though because ive seen on horsepower tv how they put royal purple oil in and they get 7rwhp, i wonder if thats just bs or what, i know r/p sponsors them.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
well i guess ill never use royal purple! i think its funny though because ive seen on horsepower tv how they put royal purple oil in and they get 7rwhp, i wonder if thats just bs or what, i know r/p sponsors them.

the secret to RP HP advantage is that their oils run thin... so, if you put in 10w30, its more like 5w30... thats what i have been told by other oil manufactures.

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
the secret to RP HP advantage is that their oils run thin... so, if you put in 10w30, its more like 5w30... thats what i have been told by other oil manufactures.

wow, thats great that a company would actually try to pull some shit like that just to fool people into thinking their oil makes more horsepower. who cares what the engine looks like 15k miles later! wtf.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
wow, thats great that a company would actually try to pull some shit like that just to fool people into thinking their oil makes more horsepower. who cares what the engine looks like 15k miles later! wtf.

without slamming rp, lets not lose sight of the fact i abused the shit out of the car. granted it should of been able to handle the abuse. As you can tell by the valves/pistons bob's tune was DEAD FUCKIN ON. the motor/sludge really should of not looked like this...i really dont know what to say, maybe ill write rp and see if they want to help fund the build!!

YEA RIGHT LMFAO!!

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
I think the problem is between the front seat and the steering wheel.......

:joke: Just messin with ya big guy! Glad there was not to much carnage in there. She will be ready to rock again next summer!!!

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
I never used Royal Purple in my car because I heard it breaks down too quickly on the street.

For race use it may be fine, but my car's a street car first and foremost.

I only use Mobil 1 full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info