• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Is this Worth IT???

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
I want someone to tell me that had this done to their t-56 trans. I talked to Jim @ Libertys Gears and to draw, dryel, or surface enhance the t-56 would be anywhere between 1k to $1500. This includes any new parts that may need replacing and a new 30 spline outputshaft with new yoke. He says it will free up about 25 ponies and gain about 175 ft lb of torqe capability and will be 10 times smoother and I get to pick the final drive.

So while we all know this process as viper spec he said its actually different thatn a viper spec in order to viper spec it would be like 3k and is not worth it. Its expensive because of the one piece counter shaft and some welding required to the trans.

So anyone have this mod is it worth it? How much smoother is it going in and out of gears? Dont wanna spend the money and be totally dissapointed?

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I have a standard D&D Ford Viper-Spec trans. I only did this since I had broken the output shaft a while back and figured the beefier output shaft couldn't hurt with all the track time I get.

I don't know what you plan on doing with your car, but the stock T-56 is pretty damn stout. Are you having transmission issues?

My Viper-spec T-56 has worked well, but I wouldn't go crazy with all sorts of expensive, internal modifications expecting a bulletproof, smooth as butter trans. These things are pretty pricey ($3199 retail) and I don't see the reason to upgrade if you're not having issues.

http://www.ddperformance.com/T-56 Transmissions.htm

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
I have a standard D&D Ford Viper-Spec trans. I only did this since I had broken the output shaft a while back and figured the beefier output shaft couldn't hurt with all the track time I get.

I don't know what you plan on doing with your car, but the stock T-56 is pretty damn stout. Are you having transmission issues?

My Viper-spec T-56 has worked well, but I wouldn't go crazy with all sorts of expensive, internal modifications expecting a bulletproof, smooth as butter trans. These things are pretty pricey ($3199 retail) and I don't see the reason to upgrade if you're not having issues.

http://www.ddperformance.com/T-56 Transmissions.htm

No issues at all now that I put in a new input shaft. I found out the last time I went to the track I bent the 26 spline but totally my fault I threw the car in reverse somehow dont quite understand how that happens when youre rolling about 45mph.

Anyway I was just wanting smoother shifting into gears. Just kind of tired of the rugged feel. I tried reaserching the t-56 on why the shifting is so rough and not smooth but came up w very little just that it has to do with the syncros, and most of my searches led me to viper spec t-56's. I did read that the D&D viper spec is butter smooth though.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
power shifting may not be the t56s favorite action... mine is somewhat fubar'd but I had my shfter come completely loose and ever since then I have an issue. these T56s hold up to a lot except for me :(

I was looking at an rpm tranny with upgraded keys (for power shifting) and forks, etc. shelby guy pointed me their way.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Its not going to be "buttery smooth" unless you spring for the Vette triple cone synchros ($,$$$.$$).

'viper spec' just means 26 spline input shaft, steel 3-4 shift fork (which our cars have already), and 31 (or is it 30) spline output shaft with a bigger bushing on the housing. It's the Vette that gets the good internals.

Probably cheaper to snag a 6060 from a GT500.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I fell for the Liberty Gears rebuild it tougher sell.....3000 miles later it was toast, and no warranty because I race it, I was told.
Don't use a 26 spline that belongs in a Camaro, you want the Viper Spec one, and my trans was redone by Sutton the RIGHT way and so it's just fine and I don't ever expect to get back in there.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
deal with it or buy a different car. the money could be spent in better places.

HEY HEY them r fight'in words man LOL :nono:I will not get rid of my cobra because of the trans LOVE the damn thing too much :D. I have dealt with it sinse 2004 Ill deal with it til my kid takes it over some time in 2042 when Im on my deathbed LOL.

Besides when the cobra is paid off in 09 in comes in a 99 mathcing silver viper GTS right next to it in the garage. My dream car right next to the cobra:clap:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info