• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Pulley Questions?

Fordman

Oct 30, 2007
I am looking for a pulley for the SC. I see you can just purchase the smaller upper for more boost/hp. i also see you can purchase a larger lower set for 2x as much as the upper. whats the difference is one safer than another?
I don't want to go mad and get too small of a pulley. what is a safe size with stock everything to get?
Thanks for any input (posting this question on numerous boards to be best informed)
Kevin

Nicky Pass

Hey YO!
Jun 6, 2004
For the most bang for the buck, I'd (and did) do a Billetflow 2.76" pulley and 100mm Idler with a 74.5" belt. Then you have to get a tune. I think everything from start to finish was $1,100....including the Predator tuner and Bob Kurgan tuning. I put down 454hp and 474tq.

noavgcobra

Addict
Aug 14, 2006
the pully will always increase the heat but not to a dangerous point. i did the same pully combo as nicky pass and netted similiar results. my blower is ported so the pully give me a bit more power. i do recommend doing a lower as well maybe a 2lb because it makes a big difference on your torque numbers. the down side is you will need injectors and a boost a pump. all said you could put down close to 500 rwhp for around $1800-$2000 wich is good or you could save for anouther year and steo up to a twin screw which is what i wish i did....

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
you won't overspin the blower with 2.76 blower. I had 2.76 and loved it! I had no coolant mods and the car got beaten in summer heat without overheating! these cars are tough. get 2.76 upper and 4 piece idlers from Billet Flow and then give a call to Bob Kurgan to tune your car and sur eget intake, midpipe and catback and it will be totally different car. FAST!!

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL
I have the same combo as Nicky, and my car made 462/479. I also added NGK TR-6 spark plugs.
I made apx. 14.8 # boost peak.

If you were to go lower pulley only (6# or 8#) you would not have the belt slip issues, and therefore not need the idler kit.

Any pulley smaller then the OEM size will over spin the blower. It will also create more heat. That being said, most people feel that the 2.76 is about the smallest size to go, on a otherwise stock Terminator. A 2.76, 2.8 or 2.93 pully will give you a nice HP increase.

Do NOT go WOT throttle until you get a tune. You will be running way lean, and that is not good for your motor. I cheated and went partial throttle on my test drive after the pulley install, but I won't recommend that.

Maybe one of the tuners will chime in regarding that.

** EDIT - A CAI, Cat-back and mid pipe will help as well, when adding a smaller pulley **

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
A 2.76 pulley will over spin the blower by nearly 25%

edit: it is 14k RPM for eaton not 18k rpm my bad. i am still reading.. i saw somebody did somekind of math over svtp and i am trying to find it.

here is the info i found on cobrabob's site about overspinning the blower:

Common consensus is yes, the Eaton is rated at 14,000 RPM for the maximum speed. With a 2.8” upper pulley, the blower should be spinning at around 18,000 RPMs at redline. However, the general thought is that the blower is not rated at 14,000 RPMs for reliability reasons, but for efficiency (the blower heats the intake too much at higher RPMs).

good thing is, it is not about relaibilty:D

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
wow thanks for all the replies.
So if i go with a 2.93 or 2.80 what would be better 4 idlers or the #6 or #8 lower?

I dont know if im reading this right? Are you asking if going with the 2.93/2.80 and what idlers you need? Or what idlers you would need with the smaller pulley up top and changing out the lower pulley? And if you do change the lower pulley out you need to change the alternator pulley also fyi....

And i also highly recommend changing your idler pullies to double bearing ones billet flow makes some kick ass ones

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL
wow thanks for all the replies.
So if i go with a 2.93 or 2.80 what would be better 4 idlers or the #6 or #8 lower?

You should go with upper pulley and idlers or a low pulley, but not both.

If you are planning on installing yourself, the upper would be easier.

Look around on some of the different boards (CSVT, SVTP, Mod Fords, etc.) maybe you'll find some used, and that might help sway your decision.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Keep in mind that the more mods you do that spin the blower faster [upper/lower pullies, ported blower, etc.] the closer you get to not having enough fuel flow capability. Your tuner can tell you how your fuel system is coping with the added air flow and when you will need to upgrade. Eventually, with enough mods, you will need an additional fuel pump or Kenne Bell Boost a Pump and a larger MAF to handle the fuel delivery. Add enough air flow and you will also need larger injectors.

Most of these steps require a new tune so decide where you want to be with the car, buy the parts, install them or have the tuner install them and get the car tuned once rather than several times. For instance, if you buy an upper pulley, get a tune and then buy a lower pulley, the car will need to be retuned. Tunes add up so do it only once if possible.

I'd suggest either:

1. Upper pulley, intake and exhaust mods.

2. Upper/Lower pullies, intake and exhaust mods.

3. Upper and or Lower pulley[ies], ported blower, fuel system upgrades, intake and exhaust mods.

#1 will get you over 450 rwhp.

#2 will get you over 475 rwhp plus quite a bit of torque.

#3 will get you over 500 rwhp.

All numbers are approximate, of course. Your car may vary...

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
Do not do this unless you port the blower.

i agree, but he gained some power. however his engine creates more heat that regular pullied cobra but regardless. we raced from a roll a few times and i would get him untill like 120mph and he would walk hard after that and we would run out of gear. he made 16psi boost unported with that combo. there is benefit but heat is bad!

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Now I heard with these cars that when your tq numbers are higher than your hp humbers you are overspinning the blower. True to the fact that when you port the blower your Hp numbers usually rise and your tq hangs around the same spot. I thought I read that in MMFF a few months ago when they were trying different power adders on the terminator crate motor, and they decided to add a small shot of spray to the stock eaton for the cooling effect and the added boost of HP.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
I am looking for a pulley for the SC. I see you can just purchase the smaller upper for more boost/hp. i also see you can purchase a larger lower set for 2x as much as the upper. whats the difference is one safer than another?
I don't want to go mad and get too small of a pulley. what is a safe size with stock everything to get?
Thanks for any input (posting this question on numerous boards to be best informed)
Kevin

I also say Twin Screw that thing and be done. But easier said than done, if youre not in the mood on spending 5k you should just pulley it w a Billet Flow 2.76 and call it a day.

Here is the breakdown for twin screw
Used KB 2.2l or whipple 2.3l around $2500-$2700
If u cant find used a new 2.6KB or new whipple will run you $3400
Now the boost a pump $250 and injectors $450 w harness oh and mafia $150 or u can get a New mass air BA2400 around $200 stay away from the new ones.

Now you need to upgrade your clutch system cuz it wont last with the power you will be putting out.
So clutch centerforce DFX $379. New 26 spline input shaft $275 labor =?
You may wanna upgrade your flywheel this is another $400 I did.

And finally a tuner xcal or predator $350 and a KURGAN tune $350-$400.
Like I said easier said than done. Hope this helped this is exactly what it cost me minus the labor I did everything myself.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info