• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Damn our cars hold their value

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
So I was at work yesterday and this older lady came up to me and I have a couple pictures of my car on my desk and she commented on how nice it looked and what year it was..I told her it was an 03 and she replied back with "oh wow thats old":eek: what bitch shut the f up....old:confused:...I replied thats its only 4 years old and she said that she and her husband have an 06 Vette....oh lord here we go Im thinking to my self another Vette head:rolleyes:...she was saying that it has alot of power this and that..okay..im not going to get into a hp arguement with a 50 year old woman....I just said wow thats a nice car and turned back around to my computer.....but it got me thinking this morning so I went online and wanted to see just how much my car retails for now and with 54K on the odometer its still goes for around $24K and some change:headbang: I brought it brand new for $31K..so in 4 years time its only gone down $7K and that of course with it being in stock trim. So it made me happy....and no Im not thinking of getting rid of it:lmao:

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
yea, thats why i dont have one. damn things are still so expensive and the insurance rates would rape me.

its funny when people ask me what year my car is, when i say its a 94 they nearly shit a brick!

it blue books that price but u could get over 25k easy.

I saw your car at the picnic back in August it looked awesome you dont see too many like that on the road:biggthump

cobralover

Oct 19, 2007
Yeah, well I guess I missed the boat on this one. I have a 32K mile Cobra, with basic bolt-ons AND those very popular BBS RK Plasma wheels and I was only able to muster up $23K. I HIGHLY doubt you'd get around 24K for a 54K mile Cobra.....no F'n way.

-Mike
Well i saw this post and i couldnt resist saying something to this lol. if you could only muster up 23k, just where in the hell do you live? Where your location is exactly makes a huge difference in retail. Just for shits and giggles go on ebay and check it out. Now mind you ebay is the worst place to sell a car outright if your looking to get good coin for it yet the prices are pretty good for the cars in your mileage range. I live in R.I. and i will bet you my next paycheck that id be able to sell my 03' verte that has 4k miles on it for over 30k still. youd be surprised how many calls i got on a simple 03' machone i use to have that had 45k miles on it. EASY 20 grand! Now go look at a vette of the same year with similar miles and ill bet its going for less then my 03'.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Yeah, well I guess I missed the boat on this one. I have a 32K mile Cobra, with basic bolt-ons AND those very popular BBS RK Plasma wheels and I was only able to muster up $23K. I HIGHLY doubt you'd get around 24K for a 54K mile Cobra.....no F'n way.

-Mike

That's cause no one wants a stock heaton car, Everyone looks for a twin screw car....

cobralover

Oct 19, 2007
You could debate this all day long. Fact is theres too many things that come into play when buying one of these cars. As for what the other guy said about looking for twin screws.......bah, first thing ppl ask at any dealership that has one is how many miles on the car. Of course thats right after they see what condition its in. I mean lets face it. The car could be totally tricked out but if the body looks like shit then y bother. Personally i like to buy unmolested ones and have all the work done myself.

Stangfreak91

TCG Elite Member
Dec 5, 2004

-Mike

Your car was nice, IMO you sold it cheap! Anyone who read your forsale post could tell that you really really really wanted to get outta the car and that winter and snow was getting closer and closer each week that you still owned the Cobra. You got $23k for the car, because you took $23K for it! It was probadly the first REAL smell the cash offer you got! Had another month passed you may have even taken $21K!! just to get out????
Glad you were able to sell...:biggthump

03mineralg

-Mike

You sold it at the wrong time of year. Back in May i sold my 03 with 21k miles on it for 25k. I do agree with you that a 54k mile cobra would not fetch 24k though.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Saw a 54K 03 go for 19K with a clean title. Just gotta look and have money in hand.

+1 I wouldnt even think of going for less than $25K on mine...miles mean nothing with these cars its all about how it was treated and whats been done to it. You can have one thats got 10K on it and someone beat the ever loving shit out of it versus someone with having one with 54K and took extremely good care of it. Mine never sees winter, oil changed like clock work and I dont take it to the track.........atleast not yet:p

jaykruger

Juiced, ported and blown
Mar 30, 2007
i do dont want that many miles. i want to own this car 30 years down the road. this car would be my baby

30 years from now if mine doesn't have 200k on it I would be shocked (provided I still have it)

Never got the point of having a car to park

I put 80k on my 97 in 6 years and it was not my DD, though I made a bunch of KY to IL trips in her

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Don't poo-poo the high mileage cars. My car has a minty fresh drivetrain from the flywheel back. Fresh trans, fresh driveshaft, and the IRS is completely rebuilt. It gets new wheel bearings every year. It is maintained better than any 30,000 mile car you'll find. It has had subframe connectors since new, and a cage for many miles, so its chassis is tighter than nearly any car you'll find with half the mileage.

i do

dont want that many miles. i want to own this car 30 years down the road. this car would be my baby

jaykruger

Juiced, ported and blown
Mar 30, 2007
Don't poo-poo the high mileage cars. My car has a minty fresh drivetrain from the flywheel back. Fresh trans, fresh driveshaft, and the IRS is completely rebuilt. It gets new wheel bearings every year. It is maintained better than any 30,000 mile car you'll find. It has had subframe connectors since new, and a cage for many miles, so its chassis is tighter than nearly any car you'll find with half the mileage.

Not everyone takes care of them like you do John

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Yeah, but not everyone lets them go completely to hell in a handbasket, either...

Consider a car that for purposes of discussion spent all its life in Texas. This example car might have a ton of miles on it, but perhaps they're all easy highway miles.

Or the low mileage car that only comes out on Sundays for trips down the 1320...sure it only has 8500 miles on it, but if they were put on 1/4 mile at a time, is that the one you want? Methinks not.

My point is to consider each car on its own, regardless of what it has on the odometer. At least at the end of the day you can say "I looked at three dozen of them, and bought the best one" or something.

But then, a better deal will always come along a week after you buy... :D

Not everyone takes care of them like you do John

jaykruger

Juiced, ported and blown
Mar 30, 2007
Yeah, but not everyone lets them go completely to hell in a handbasket, either...

Consider a car that for purposes of discussion spent all its life in Texas. This example car might have a ton of miles on it, but perhaps they're all easy highway miles.

Or the low mileage car that only comes out on Sundays for trips down the 1320...sure it only has 8500 miles on it, but if they were put on 1/4 mile at a time, is that the one you want? Methinks not.

My point is to consider each car on its own, regardless of what it has on the odometer. At least at the end of the day you can say "I looked at three dozen of them, and bought the best one" or something.

But then, a better deal will always come along a week after you buy... :D

Not doubting that, each car is a case by case for sure. I was just giving you some props! Easy buddy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info