• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Hood Pins & a CF Hood

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Well after reading the thread over on svtp a lot of people are stressing the fact that I should have hood pins with the CF hood. Also V.I.S. recommends them.

Are they a must? Where can I pick some up? Looking to get them ASAP and installed so I can make it to the GLD this sat.

You don't need hood pins!!!

I bet your stock hood is almost the same weight as the CF hood.

I wouldn't want to be drilling holes in a hood period, more or less with fresh paint! Fresh paint takes 30+ days to FULLY dry.

Kevin

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
Ha ha ha ha. You don't need hood pins. I stressed over the same thing after I got mine. Then Jeff at Lincoln told me that the frame is a ford frame, and I don't need them. You only need the pins on a crappy aftermarket frame.

P.S. I had my car up to a GPS verfied 165 with that hood on my car and it was rock solid.

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
You don't need hood pins!!!

I bet your stock hood is almost the same weight as the CF hood.

I wouldn't want to be drilling holes in a hood period, more or less with fresh paint! Fresh paint takes 30+ days to FULLY dry.

Kevin

Ur just jealous :p

No it doesn't. The CF one only weighs something like 15lbs lighter. And you can def feel it.

Ha ha ha ha. You don't need hood pins. I stressed over the same thing after I got mine. Then Jeff at Lincoln told me that the frame is a ford frame, and I don't need them. You only need the pins on a crappy aftermarket frame.

P.S. I had my car up to a GPS verfied 165 with that hood on my car and it was rock solid.

From svtp

you are going to need hood pins?? VIS hoods do not have a metal backing on the latch backing of the hood. i was not satisfied with mine until i got a set. these hoods are way too light. i just dont want to see a thread about your hood flying up at 65mph. better safe than sorry i say. best of luck.

01Sleeper

TCG Elite Member
Dec 11, 2004
Well, I guess I feel differently than everyone else. I always thought that pins were a waste, but then one night driving on 355 my hood popped on me at 75 mph. I am positive it was latched when I drove away since I am anal and checked it multiple times by pulling up on it. You better believe the next day I went and bought some pins from pep boys and installed them. They are stainless steel and do the job. I never have to worry about that happening again now. If you decide to get them and need some advice on installing them let me know.

99svtdvr

open for business
Apr 27, 2005
Well, I guess I feel differently than everyone else. I always thought that pins were a waste, but then one night driving on 355 my hood popped on me at 75 mph. I am positive it was latched when I drove away since I am anal and checked it multiple times by pulling up on it. You better believe the next day I went and bought some pins from pep boys and installed them. They are stainless steel and do the job. I never have to worry about that happening again now. If you decide to get them and need some advice on installing them let me know.

Got pics Todd?

i just want them because I thin kthey look cool.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
I was in the same boat deciding to drill and muck up the look of my Niche PI CF hood. Needless to say I opted not to and took my chances. No issues and have had it for 3 + years. Like a few have mentioned its all in the latch and how its made/desiged/ materials ect...

However, I had a Cevinis cowl hood take off on my 93GT years back and it took out the cowl section where the wiper blades are,smashed down the metal cowl section also, cracked the glass and put a creases / dent totally accross the entire front side of the roof at and near the glass. Not to metion it flying off in 2 pcs in traffic that could have caused some serious damage if there were cars directly behind me.

It took me a few weeks working on it a hour here and there to get it fixed.

Guess my pont is do what ever you feel is right.

Out of 6 aftermarket hoods bought and used only one failed with me. Costly failure at that:-( Nobody likes bondo on there car:crying:

EDIT:
If I recall correctly, most if not all aftermarket hoods have a disclaimer for off road use only and or state the use of securing Pins.

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
i would put them on if i had a fiberglass or c/f hood just to be safe. im painting my hood when i get it back and drilling the holes before the paint it. i personally like the way they look, i bought the stillen ones so they dont have the big wire things that rub against your hood so theyre pretty clean. i only think pins are rice if you have a steel hood and youre just putting them on there to look cool. ive heard a lot of stories of both c/f AND fiberglass hoods failing.

hazmat404

Addict
Apr 26, 2005
well on my old 95 gt i had a fiberglass hood that was crazy light. i put on hood pins after it decided to lift going about 90mph on the highway. luckily it ripped out of the latches and hit the windshield only and no one was behind me. some nasty dmg but i will never risk it again without really reinforcing the stocker or going with hood pins (which i really like the look of after having them on my car with the cobra rr hood). i think the rice fad has gone out of style a whole bunch cause they realized how retarded they looked. the things that they did that were pointless and considered "rice" are sadly still labeled as that even though they serve a good purpose in many situations

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info