• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Reverse lockout solenoid

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
On the way home from work today, I stopped at a gas station. When I was leaving, I tried to put the trans into reverse but it wouldn't go past the reverse lockout. It felt just like it would if you were trying to shift into reverse while moving forward faster than the lockout allows. I pushed the car back far enough to engage first and drove home. Forward gears are fine.

I tried to put it into reverse again when I got home but no go. I'm assuming this is the reverse lockout solenoid misbehaving since the trans seems fine and just feels like the lockout is engaged.

Anyone else ever have this issue? If so, what did you do? I'm going to jack the car up tomorrow and make sure the solenoid is connected. Maybe the wire came loose or a fuse is blown. If it's OK, I'm guessing I'll have to replace the solenoid?

Here's an interesting write up on the Tremec T56 that I found while researching this problem. Very in depth coverage of the trans. It takes a while for the .pdf pages to load.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/media/pdfs_autogen/LD56-0610-0199.pdf

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I tried reverse this morning. Still no go. I pushed the car out of the garage so I could center it to jack it up. Put it in first and pulled in. Tried reverse again and it went into the gear easily. Tried it a couple more times and it worked fine. I took the car to work for a test drive and to drop off my guys' paychecks. Get to the shop and it won't go past the lockout again. I brought the car home and put it back into the garage. Jacked it up and I'm waiting for it to cool so I can check the wires on the solenoid. I'd guess it's not a fuse since it did work earlier. Once a fuse fails, it wouldn't work again. If it's not a loose wire, I guess I'll have to replace the solenoid. Anyone done this? Plug in or major project?

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Piece of cake. Its hanging right there off the tailshaft housing on the driver's side.

I tried reverse this morning. Still no go. I pushed the car out of the garage so I could center it to jack it up. Put it in first and pulled in. Tried reverse again and it went into the gear easily. Tried it a couple more times and it worked fine. I took the car to work for a test drive and to drop off my guys' paychecks. Get to the shop and it won't go past the lockout again. I brought the car home and put it back into the garage. Jacked it up and I'm waiting for it to cool so I can check the wires on the solenoid. I'd guess it's not a fuse since it did work earlier. Once a fuse fails, it wouldn't work again. If it's not a loose wire, I guess I'll have to replace the solenoid. Anyone done this? Plug in or major project?

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
If you put a little muscle into it you dont need the reverse lockout solenoid. When I did the T-56 swap in my GT I didnt even bother making my own pigtail thing to make it work I got used to just putting a little more effort into making it bypass it. Just an FYI. Glad your getting it under warranty tho

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
If you put a little muscle into it you dont need the reverse lockout solenoid. When I did the T-56 swap in my GT I didnt even bother making my own pigtail thing to make it work I got used to just putting a little more effort into making it bypass it. Just an FYI. Glad your getting it under warranty tho

I didn't want to weaken the springs and accidentally go into Reverse instead of 5th. That would ruin my day. ;)

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
I didn't want to weaken the springs and accidentally go into Reverse instead of 5th. That would ruin my day. ;)

It really doesnt weaken the lockout at all. Mine stayed the same the for 6+months. Most guys that do the swap run it without it forever. The throw to reverse is really far off from 5th IMO but better safe than sorry in your case. I'm glad your getting it fixed cause with the luck I have if you didnt use it like me it would soften up and you would hit reverse on accident :lmao:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info