• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

What pistons, rods to use on 99 cobra

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
I'm going to pull the 29,000 mile engine this week.

Was looking for some advice on what pistons and rods to run on my 99 cobra.
The reason for this is..... I want to run more boost out through my Vortech. I hear that the engine is not to safe over 450- 470 rwhp with stock internals. I'm right there now so its time to upgrade!

Is it true you cant Stroke a Mod engine?

What pistons?
What Rods?

Where should I buy them for best overall deal on price and quality?

Should and and can I pull the engine and tranny together since I will be doing a clutch also?

Any tricks to pulling the 4.6?
Can you install the engine with the long tube heaers on?

Anything else needed to make the block stronger while I'm in there? I was thinking about a girdle.Will the stock oil pump be fine?

Currently I'm running about 9.5 lbs of boost along with Snows stage 2 Meth kit. With a new upgraded lower end, how much boost can I or should I run for steert strip combo.

Was thinking about going with JE Forged Pistons, Manley Forged Rods. Good or bad?

Thanks

doug@performance

Forum Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
I'm going to pull the 29,000 mile engine this week.

Was looking for some advice on what pistons and rods to run on my 99 cobra.
The reason for this is..... I want to run more boost out through my Vortech. I hear that the engine is not to safe over 450- 470 rwhp with stock internals. I'm right there now so its time to upgrade!

Is it true you cant Stroke a Mod engine?

What pistons?
What Rods?

Where should I buy them for best overall deal on price and quality?

Should and and can I pull the engine and tranny together since I will be doing a clutch also?

Any tricks to pulling the 4.6?
Can you install the engine with the long tube heaers on?

Anything else needed to make the block stronger while I'm in there? I was thinking about a girdle.Will the stock oil pump be fine?

Currently I'm running about 9.5 lbs of boost along with Snows stage 2 Meth kit. With a new upgraded lower end, how much boost can I or should I run for steert strip combo.

Was thinking about going with JE Forged Pistons, Manley Forged Rods. Good or bad?

Thanks

The killer set up would be to go with a Big Bore block which will be available to the public shortly.

I would recomend going with CP pistons, Probably around -17 dish so you can keep the compression around 8.5.

Which size Vortech do you have? Do you know what size pulley is on it now?

If you have the room i would recomend droping the motor/trans out the bottom so then you can also keep the headers attached.

Sorry if i missed any questions but let me know if you need any help with anything.
Doug

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
You're running S-trim and meth injection , so I wouldn't even go lower then 9.5. with your compression .I know, that's your engine and money,so you can do whatever you want.I'm building a 4.6 dohc Teksid block myself too.I've got -18c .020 over forged JE pistons that I was gonna use for my engine with twin screw blower but I changed my plans.I'm going with Vortech and higher comp pistons most likely -5cc Diamond pistons .

Derek

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info