• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Ported Blower

killer03

Oct 3, 2007
So i just got a new motor built for the cobra and while the motor was out i was thinking about porting the blower the only thing different with the motor then stock is that it will have ported heads still keeping the stock cams anyway i was wondering what things i need to do to support the ported blower such as fuel pumps, mass air meter, and or throttle body o yeah lower pullie dont know if i need all that just wanted to know or if there is someting else

jaykruger

Juiced, ported and blown
Mar 30, 2007
So i just got a new motor built for the cobra and while the motor was out i was thinking about porting the blower the only thing different with the motor then stock is that it will have ported heads still keeping the stock cams anyway i was wondering what things i need to do to support the ported blower such as fuel pumps, mass air meter, and or throttle body o yeah lower pullie dont know if i need all that just wanted to know or if there is someting else

You might be on the verge of pegging the MAF with porting the heads and the blower so I would get a MAFia, for fuel a KB BAP and some 60#s should do you just fine till you move up to a twin screw and you may not even need that. I am not sure on what the ported heads are going to do to the boost level.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007

If everything else is stock it depends how much boost you are going to run with the ported blower? If you keep the boost level stock you wont need anything other than a tune. If you want to raise the boost levels its going to depend on what level of boost you want....if you wanted to bump to 14lbs you might want to look at a MAFia and maybe a KB Boost a Pump.

I ran when I had it at the time the ported blower 4lb lower and was making around 15lbs all i had at the time was the MAFia and a good safe tune:)

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
You might be on the verge of pegging the MAF with porting the heads and the blower so I would get a MAFia, for fuel a KB BAP and some 60#s should do you just fine till you move up to a twin screw and you may not even need that. I am not sure on what the ported heads are going to do to the boost level.

I dont think he will need the 60lb injectors with the ported blower if he bumps to a twin screw then definitley.....maybe he should just go straight to the twin screw and be done with it.....i wish I would have done that rather than going thru 3 different pullies and then the ported blower:rolleyes:

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
it already has a pullie and it looks like 2.7 when i measured it i was thinking a sct2400 maf twin focus pumps and 60lbs injectors and a throttle body what do you think

The twin focus pumps are not worth doing unless you are planning going over 21psi. you will be fine with the Kenne Bell boost a pump. I run a Kenne Bell 2.2l 60#injectors SCT 2400 and the Kenne Bell Boost a Pump set @40 no problems whats so ever.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
I dont think he will need the 60lb injectors with the ported blower if he bumps to a twin screw then definitley.....maybe he should just go straight to the twin screw and be done with it.....i wish I would have done that rather than going thru 3 different pullies and then the ported blower:rolleyes:

Yea twin screw is the way to roll, now days you can pick up a 2.2l KB $2500.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
it already has a pullie and it looks like 2.7 when i measured it i was thinking a sct2400 maf twin focus pumps and 60lbs injectors and a throttle body what do you think

You have the 2.76 then which should be giving you around 14-15lbs of boost....IMO the 60lbs are overkill...I ran that much boost on the stock injectors and fuel system and had no issues with the ported blower. I would just get the MAFia for the MAF. If you are planning down the road and going to look at a twin screw then you are on the right track with the 60lbers. Throttle body will increase your throttle response but you wont see too much as far as hp gains..if you do go TB I would go with Accufab. And just remember that its all about the tuning make sure you get a good reliable tune!!!!!!

I am running a Whipple setup and still have the stock TB and Im happy with it:)

Hope this helps Im sure others will chime in with their $.02

If you are one of those "my car is only fast for so long types".....cause I am:p my advise save the $$$ up for the twin screw:biggthump

killer03

Oct 3, 2007
yeah i was talking to the local shop around here and they told me they could make it work with my setup but i would need a sct2400 and they recomended the injectors and pumps just in case so i wouldnt have to get it tuned twice if there was a fuel problem i put the pumps in my buddies cobra for him and it wasnt a big deal so im not worried about the labor

im going to port my own blower myself so no need for a new one and im waiting on my motor to get done anyway, should be here next week cant wait

noavgcobra

Addict
Aug 14, 2006
yeah i was talking to the local shop around here and they told me they could make it work with my setup but i would need a sct2400 and they recomended the injectors and pumps just in case so i wouldnt have to get it tuned twice if there was a fuel problem i put the pumps in my buddies cobra for him and it wasnt a big deal so im not worried about the labor

im going to port my own blower myself so no need for a new one and im waiting on my motor to get done anyway, should be here next week cant wait

ive got a sct2400 that i will sell you for a great price...like new condition...also i have similiar mods and with my port i have stock injectors and pumps all i did was put a mafia in and im tippin the 500rwhp scale....just put in a boost a pump but it is set at 0 for now until i get the spray hooked up

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
First off, I'd skip the ported blower and just get a twin-screw.

However, if you want to go this route I'd get:

KB BAP, 60 lb injectors, mafia and tune. That's the safest and most cost effective way to go for supporting mods and will also cover you if you subsequently get a twin-screw.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
As the owner of a Stage 3 ported "PIGGY" with dual Focus, 2400MAF, I can assure you I have NEVER, see this...NEVER beat a pullied UNPORTED EATON....it ain't ME, PORT JOBS are only good with 2.93 & 4lb lower, or even better, the 2.76 with a 2lb lower, ( I don't have a lower pulley do to all the BS associetd with that) and you should still be OK with the factory injectors, but maybe NOT, I don't know.

Why are your heads ported?

Please, just save the money and time, and get a whipple, or pay more for nothing and go Kenny Bell, I guess he's cool or something, I haven't figured that one out yet. But don't bother porting your blower unless you really want to keep the car looking stock, well then a stage 4 and a 2lb lower is a good move, especially if you open it up and top it out a few times a month, that's all a port job is worth, looking stock and fooling competitors, but you won't make the power you need to REALLY mop'em, for that you need a new twin screw, and it's Whipple FTW!

No offense to ported cars, I just wish I would have gone twin screw at the same time, and like I said, a pullied Cobra with a tune is just fine.

OK, OK, I am a little depressed since I have decided I've run my LAST 11.90. My best is an 11.7 BEATING THE FKG SHIT OUT OF MY CAR, and would rather just shift quick comming out at 42-4800 instead of 5-6200. I like the IRS car, axles are cheap, and I like the progress Cobra Jack has with his path, so I have become convinced to follow him. I think I'm gonna get some cams also because I love the sound, and that's important to me. I don't need high 10's, I just want low 11's. What I really want is GT500 with a Whipple, some rear end hookage and durabilty parts, a single piece drive shaft, low 11's, AWESOME SVT ENGINEERED CAR, end of story. :burnout::burnout::burnout:

killer03

Oct 3, 2007
My heads are ported becasue i spun a rod bearing and im getting a whole new motor. It was like $200 more to get the heads ported vs just going over them and replacing the seals.
I would love to by a new blower i just dont have the money.I do have the abilty to port my blower because i can do that myself. I just bought the car and put like 200 miles on it before the motor went so i really spent all the money i had on the car and what was left on the new motor. I want to go turbo in like 2 years when i get the car paid off just looking for a little extra for now.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
My heads are ported becasue i spun a rod bearing and im getting a whole new motor. It was like $200 more to get the heads ported vs just going over them and replacing the seals.
I would love to by a new blower i just dont have the money.I do have the abilty to port my blower because i can do that myself. I just bought the car and put like 200 miles on it before the motor went so i really spent all the money i had on the car and what was left on the new motor. I want to go turbo in like 2 years when i get the car paid off just looking for a little extra for now.

Well, it's obviously OLD news now, but you don't do port jobs on 03-04 Cobra heads. Everybody knows that, except you or the guy who took your money. You see, the power I get from 14lbs will take you 16lbs, theoreticly, that's why you don't port them.

You do what you want to your blower, I hope you don't go to far and enjoy the benifits, all 2% of them that is. You and I, or some others on this board need to sit down and answer your questions and set up a plan for you car so you don't waste money, or end up breaking shit down the line.

You can beat the Fuck out of a stock Cobra and just eat clutches, brakes and tires, but 100 more HP offers a whole list of risks and you need to build in that direction also.

noavgcobra

Addict
Aug 14, 2006
Well, it's obviously OLD news now, but you don't do port jobs on 03-04 Cobra heads. Everybody knows that, except you or the guy who took your money. You see, the power I get from 14lbs will take you 16lbs, theoreticly, that's why you don't port them.

You do what you want to your blower, I hope you don't go to far and enjoy the benifits, all 2% of them that is. You and I, or some others on this board need to sit down and answer your questions and set up a plan for you car so you don't waste money, or end up breaking shit down the line.

You can beat the Fuck out of a stock Cobra and just eat clutches, brakes and tires, but 100 more HP offers a whole list of risks and you need to build in that direction also.

im with you, if i would of skipped the port i would already have my whipple.(wife only lets me play a little each year) maybe this winter i will have a new suprise under the hood

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info