• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Car hesitating!

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
If the FRPS was bad, why would it only hesitate shifting to 3rd? Does it run fine otherwise? Does it idle good?

I still say PPRV.

the car has been perfect and i always powershift. it used to hesitate but Bob gapped my plugs to 28 and it solved the problem.

i havent powershifted to 2nd due to traction problems and i havent topped out my 3rd gear to shift 4th for a long time on the streets cuz it is too fast. so i don't know if the car would hesistate on 2nd and 4th gear as well. i guess i should try and see.

there is no way i can run good times this way.

where can I find FPRS and is that a big job?

thanks to people who responded my question! I appriciated that!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I doubt if it is the FRPS. I've had a FRPS blow before so I've experienced what that feels like first hand. Sounds more like the tune to me. My car also hesitates if I momentarily lift between gears. RWTD has a large thread written on the topic on modularfords.com. There are various suggestions that range from shifting faster to modifying the top hat assembly. Personally, I think that some of the tune settings that are [IMHO] designed to prevent the FRPS from blowing are at least partially causing the hesitation.

If you do replace the FRPS yourself [five minute job], make sure you bleed the fuel pressure off first.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I doubt if it is the FRPS. I've had a FRPS blow before so I've experienced what that feels like first hand. Sounds more like the tune to me. My car also hesitates if I momentarily lift between gears. RWTD has a large thread written on the topic on modularfords.com. There are various suggestions that range from shifting faster to modifying the top hat assembly. Personally, I think that some of the tune settings that are [IMHO] designed to prevent the FRPS from blowing are at least partially causing the hesitation.

If you do replace the FRPS yourself [five minute job], make sure you bleed the fuel pressure off first.
Cliff,

He powershifts and hasn't had this issues before (and hasn't changed anything).

I've learned that these things can blows to different degrees. I blew one 1/2 mile from my house and almost didn't make it home. Had to push the car into the garage. The 2nd one I blew was less severe. Normal driving would be fine, but romping on the car resulted in the fuel cutting in and out at high rpms.

I see what you're saying and you could be right :biggthump, but IMO any regularly driven Cobra should probably carry a spare FRPS anyway. If his turns out to be good, he always has a spare. :)

Perhaps the best compromise (since he has a few friends with Cobras) would be to try theirs out in his car and see if the problem persists (before spending the money on a new one) since it only takes a few minutes to swap it out.

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
and the only way to get it to not hesitate was shift really fast and not come off of the gass all of the way.

Nicky, then mine is definetely not PPRV cuz i don't shift slow and it still happens:dunno:

also flyin high again: I don't think it is my tune cuz the car has been running great. it was fine yesterday morning and i took her outside in the evening and played a little and i relaized this problem. I will replace the FRPS and see if it fixes.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
if it were the PPRV, it would have done it from the beginning... Im pretty confident that its the FRPS... the car was tuned 6 months ago..

Larry and Bob,

You guys both know a lot more about our cars' behavior than I do. In my case, there was much more hesitation after my most recent tune [RWTD]. I did switch to 60 lb. injectors so I don't know if they may be a contributing factor. :dunno:

I understand that FRPS failures can vary from slight problems to complete not running [maybe from the size of the tear in the diaphragm?].

I don't understand why a tune would cause more hesitation and then deleting the PPRV would alleviate this same problem. I [and it seems like a whole bunch of other people] need to be edumucated so we can get rid of the hesitation...

In doodad's case, I would definitely replace the FRPS and see if it makes a difference. It's a relatively cheap part and an easy swap.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Larry and Bob,

You guys both know a lot more about our cars' behavior than I do. In my case, there was much more hesitation after my most recent tune [RWTD]. I did switch to 60 lb. injectors so I don't know if they may be a contributing factor. :dunno:
After getting my most recent RWTD tune, my hesitation is noticeably worse (compared to my previous RWTD mail order tune) and I suspect it's PPRV related (like yours Cliff). I know exactly what you're talking about. :headbang:

I do think Doodad's is FRPS related though.

All of this is good info. :biggthump

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info