• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

tire hit launch pics

04snake

speed happy
Jan 5, 2006
Not done yet but I am starting to understand how to handle hitting the tires real hard with a stick launching at the limiter. I am running 11.0, 11.1 more consistently with my eaton in hot air. Most 60 fts are around 1.52 - 1.56 with one 1.51, but I have to keep 12+lbs in the tires so I am always on the ragged edge of smoke'm them. Any lower and the Stiff side M/T slicks collapse bad, but if I prevent that they are hooking hard enough to pull the wheels a inch or so most passes with only 500 hp and almost full weight (3610 w/me).

the first pics are if I cross the line of not enough air (11.5lbs) & too much rpm (6500) for my clutch, flywheel, 10x26" tire, air bags psi, combo.
JIMK0914Rental-6543zoom-600.jpg

JIMK0914Rental-6543-600.jpg

the second one is a real good hit on the tires, my best 60ft 1.51.

JIMK0914Rental-6356Zoom-600.jpg

JIMK0914Rental-6356-600.jpg

now for my new recent pictures adjusting to track conditions and trying some other small tweaks. I have managed to keep from making them angry but if I miss the other way (too much air:spin or not enough rpm:bog ) I can end up with a 1.58-1.62 real easy, so by stiffening and focusing the 9" with the anti-roll, Mach1 springs and 5-to-20lbs in the air bags with a 5-7lb stagger I have a very small window of setup to get the most out of a tire that I can plant way too hard, way too easy!

oh well the mushy IRS used to be much more very forgiving. :chug:

JIMK0914Rental-6455-600.jpg

JIMK0921Rental7482-600.jpg

JIMK0921Rental7482zoom-600.jpg

JIMK0923-7947-600.jpg

JIMK0923-7947-zoom-600.jpg

JIMK1006-9579-600.jpg

nice to be back online, replacing the laptop that died during a pass 3 weeks ago (9/14) was a real PITA.
Trying to get older software to run on vista sucks on top of all the $$$$! :crying:

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Those are great pictures! It seems like you have a good understanding of how a suspension works and how to adjust it. My car 60'd in the mid 1.4's when I was on the 6 speed, but now I have switched to an AUTO and I am trying to figure out what needs to be changed/adjusted.

The car now makes 20 PSI on the brake. The thing is that is still 60's the same, I thought it would be a bit more violent out off the hole, but its not.Mid 1.4's all day. I put in some spring isolators to bring up the front end a bit since it was so low, and the suspension settings are unchanged from the 6-spd. I have the Tokico drags struts on #2 of 5 (loose) and the strange 10-way shocks on #3 left and #4 right out back. FRPP B springs in front, Bullitt rear.

How does the auto hit the tires differently than the stick? My buddy watched one of my runs from the line and said I spun some. SO does the rear (and front) need to be softened a bit? What kind of settings would you advise?

Thx :biggthump

04snake

speed happy
Jan 5, 2006
Those are great pictures! It seems like you have a good understanding of how a suspension works and how to adjust it. My car 60'd in the mid 1.4's when I was on the 6 speed, but now I have switched to an AUTO and I am trying to figure out what needs to be changed/adjusted.

The car now makes 20 PSI on the brake. The thing is that is still 60's the same, I thought it would be a bit more violent out off the hole, but its not.Mid 1.4's all day. I put in some spring isolators to bring up the front end a bit since it was so low, and the suspension settings are unchanged from the 6-spd. I have the Tokico drags struts on #2 of 5 (loose) and the strange 10-way shocks on #3 left and #4 right out back. FRPP B springs in front, Bullitt rear.

How does the auto hit the tires differently than the stick? My buddy watched one of my runs from the line and said I spun some. SO does the rear (and front) need to be softened a bit? What kind of settings would you advise?

Thx :biggthump

your tire size + axle ratio + TC stall speed = how hard you hit with an automatic, usually quite a bit less hard than a stick. You should be able to run 50/50 rear shock adjustment and low tire pressures (9-11.5) to keep from spinning but best launch rpm could be big. Sorry I never raced an auto, I don't have a clue but your 60fts don't sound to shabby? :headbang:

The 2 lousy runs I got in Sat were on the juice but it didn't HIT right on either one, leaving me fat and with timing pulled, it is cutting off the spray after it starts at 4K, more window switch problems. I did go 126.5 on the first pass, fastest ever after it squirted a little in 4th, but both runs were only 11.1.

I launch at 6000 - 6500 RPM with a 26" tire & 4.11's I trap right around 6500RPM at 125, with room for 130 at 7000 redline

I have an under axle anti-roll control, instead of a road race sway bar.

I am in testing mode now, deliberate granny shifts to make sure I have no wasted passes while I am trying to gather data. I am trying to apply about a 100shot, and learn how to tune for a dry shot, it ain't easy. I only have a ported Eaton that I bracket race at 16psi with a blower only tune at 11.0. This is a trick 9" solid conversion and your are right, I am lightened a little bit to 3600 with me in it, but I still drive this on the street all the time and there is nothing stealth about the upgrades, all in plain view.

:toast:

Stangfreak91

TCG Elite Member
Dec 5, 2004
Awesome!! haven't heard from you in awhile, I usually check your site, thanks again for the bag tips ;) :biggthump

your tire size + axle ratio + TC stall speed = how hard you hit with an automatic, usually quite a bit less hard than a stick. You should be able to run 50/50 rear shock adjustment and low tire pressures (9-11.5) to keep from spinning but best launch rpm could be big. Sorry I never raced an auto, I don't have a clue but your 60fts don't sound to shabby? :headbang:

The 2 lousy runs I got in Sat were on the juice but it didn't HIT right on either one, leaving me fat and with timing pulled, it is cutting off the spray after it starts at 4K, more window switch problems. I did go 126.5 on the first pass, fastest ever after it squirted a little in 4th, but both runs were only 11.1.

I launch at 6000 - 6500 RPM with a 26" tire & 4.11's I trap right around 6500RPM at 125, with room for 130 at 7000 redline

I have an under axle anti-roll control, instead of a road race sway bar.

I am in testing mode now, deliberate granny shifts to make sure I have no wasted passes while I am trying to gather data. I am trying to apply about a 100shot, and learn how to tune for a dry shot, it ain't easy. I only have a ported Eaton that I bracket race at 16psi with a blower only tune at 11.0. This is a trick 9" solid conversion and your are right, I am lightened a little bit to 3600 with me in it, but I still drive this on the street all the time and there is nothing stealth about the upgrades, all in plain view.

:toast:

SVT SPEED 04

TCG Elite Member
Jun 9, 2004
The car looks good man :biggthump

I do think you should run a 28 with more pressure. I'm sure it will be much more consistent. I think you will find most to say the tire is wadding ( sp ? ) up too much and still leaving some 60ft on the table from the pics.

The drag bar looks to be doing it's job well....leaving nice and straight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info