• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need Opinions: Tranny grinding

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
:rolleyes: As some of you know a few weeks ago I was at Byron when after a few runs the car was stuck in 3rd twice. I had to yank on it to get it out and after several attempts it did and then I couldn't get the damn thing back in gear for almost the whole return road, then I couldn't get it out... ends up my MGW shifter bolts came completely loose.

Fast forward to last week and well, even though I had the hunchback skinny as I was finishing off the 1/4 and I granny shifted into 4th when it grinded and I was like WTF:dunno: the shifter must have come loose. On the way home from the track I noticed it grinding shifting normally, but only into 4th. Great...:rolleyes:

Well I just tore it apart and no, it wasn't loose. I ordered my new gasket as my other one disappeared when it came loose.

Check out the pic below... could this be my issue? I just can't believe that my synchros are fubar'd, but maybe I did this when yanking it out of 3rd it slipped on the shaft? Anybody know where it should be at?

Help, please? Stangfreak will be out Friday maybe at Meijer and I want to smoke him, no excuses... :lmao:

Attachments

• Shifter.jpg
    Shifter.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 159

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Vic

It looks like you moved that whole peice back on the shaft. I would start by drain the trans fuild and checking condition of it. If you have lots of shiny stuff in their, it's a no go..Also run a magnet thur the oil and see if it comes out clean or not.

FYI I change my trans oil every 3K miles or so with the way we drive...Trans are just too expensive!

Hope this helps

Kevin

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
:( I never had any issues with the tranny before, however, I think when the shifter came loose I may have fubar'd something. If it is the synchros, what's the damage for a rebuild?? $$$??

I think you should powa shift that beyotch with no clutch till she blows.....and then put a glide in there!!!!!!!

Seriously though, sounds like the synchros are goin bad, I'd talk to Carl to get info on the rebuild. You may want to consider some internal upgrades with the way you like to bang gears.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Sorry about the trans Victor that sucks:(

Vic

FYI I change my trans oil every 3K miles or so with the way we drive...Trans are just too expensive!

Kevin

Damn thats preventive maintence I generally go every 25K on changing mine which i have changed twice.

And thats a good point with as expensive as these trannys are changing more often would offset having the expense of replacing/rebuilding one:)...good point:biggthump

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
No need for a pic, as thats not a set screw. Its a roll pin. The rear lever didn't budge on the shaft (mine looks to be in about the same place as yours)

90% of the time, grinding of the trans is the clutch out of adjustment. The other 10% of the time, it means your synchros are worn out.

Finish Line said it would be 6 weeks before they could even think about getting to my trans, so I just bought one from RPM in Indiana (~$1800 outright)

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
:rolleyes: As some of you know a few weeks ago I was at Byron when after a few runs the car was stuck in 3rd twice. I had to yank on it to get it out and after several attempts it did and then I couldn't get the damn thing back in gear for almost the whole return road, then I couldn't get it out... ends up my MGW shifter bolts came completely loose.

Fast forward to last week and well, even though I had the hunchback skinny as I was finishing off the 1/4 and I granny shifted into 4th when it grinded and I was like WTF:dunno: the shifter must have come loose. On the way home from the track I noticed it grinding shifting normally, but only into 4th. Great...:rolleyes:

Well I just tore it apart and no, it wasn't loose. I ordered my new gasket as my other one disappeared when it came loose.

Check out the pic below... could this be my issue? I just can't believe that my synchros are fubar'd, but maybe I did this when yanking it out of 3rd it slipped on the shaft? Anybody know where it should be at?

Help, please? Stangfreak will be out Friday maybe at Meijer and I want to smoke him, no excuses... :lmao:

I'm almost positive you wouldn't have shifted that fitting on that shaft, in the middle of that fitting(between the two arrows you drew) you can see a small pin, you would have to bend that to get it to shift on the shaft. You could always get a little punch and knock that pin out and see if it is bend.

I'm guessing when the shifter bolts came loose and it was moving around the shifter stops might not have been doing their job and you either started to hurt a shiftfork or the syncros.

I had a slow shift grinding trans that lasted for a LONG time. Just annoying on the street.

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
4r70w FTW!!!!

Well said!

In all honesty, if you are going to really start racing that thing, I think a nice AUTO is the only way to fly, especially at elevated power levels..

The stick cars just hit the tires too hard, carnage will be eminent if you plan to run on a real sticky tire. I wouldnt want to have to worry about tearing down a T-56 whenever something is wrong, because anytime you have to open it up, it aint gonna be cheap.

Also, when things break internally on a manual trans, the tendency is that one break can wipe out other parts that were OK, gears, mainshafts, output shaft, etc...

AUTOLICIOUS!!!!! Nice lil winter project for ya!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Well said!

In all honesty, if you are going to really start racing that thing, I think a nice AUTO is the only way to fly, especially at elevated power levels..

The stick cars just hit the tires too hard, carnage will be eminent if you plan to run on a real sticky tire. I wouldnt want to have to worry about tearing down a T-56 whenever something is wrong, because anytime you have to open it up, it aint gonna be cheap.

Also, when things break internally on a manual trans, the tendency is that one break can wipe out other parts that were OK, gears, mainshafts, output shaft, etc...

If i keep the car auto trans will b my winter project. Trans brake, ratchet shifter, and big stall is badass to drive on, just as fun as a stickshift.

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
synchros. when I pulled the faceplate off to get the input shaft out (i needed a clutch alignment tool) i pulled out chunks of friction material (the carbon from the synchronizers).

the ford t56 uses steel shift forks in all the forward gears.

OK. Usually when you fully loose two gears in a row that like that it's a fork, but if you took all the material off the syncros that would make sense too. Good luck w/ the rebuild.

Shane, I saw the pics of your car @ Byron...its looks insane!!!!

Thanks, but I care not to continue w/ launches that violent. The anti-roll bar should be here late this week or early next.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The mount on the shaft looks fine. I would say check your adjustment on the clutch. Always easy and free to do. Worth the time to check it out.

Well said!

Agreed with everything you said. Plus no heavy clutch pedal and grabby clutch on the street.

I hated driving my car with the stick. The auto is SOOOO nice on the street and at the track. The swap to the auto was one of the best mods to my car. Well behind the built motor and Vortech. haha

Flatliner

Mar 3, 2004
The adjustment on the clutch was fine, first thing I checked. I am honestly thinking that the loose shifter and my power shifting may have been the demise and as Chris and others have said... probably a shift fork. :( All said and done, I'll fix it, sell it, and probably go auto... just need to get the cash together.

Flatliner

Mar 3, 2004
Still not sure what my plans are... but I will guarantee I'll be faster the next time I hit the track ;) Just when you think you may be catching up, I'll only get further away. Hear that Jiggy and Randy??? :D

With my shifter coming loose on the 3rd pass which was my best run, which from what I think right now bent a shift fork or something in 3rd. I was able to go 11.17 at 126... I was so mad cause the run with the 1.6x 60ft was my 10 sec run. I need my line loc installed too... ;)

Here's my in car of those runs that day.

LINK REMOVED

So the question is... will the car hold up on Saturday for one last hurrah?? That's right I said Saturday! ;)

What are your opinions? Drive it like I stole it or wait until spring?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info