• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Got it running finally....but ran into a huge issue HELP!

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
Yeah it was back on the road yesterday.... It sounds amazing but keeps overheating. I know the headgaskets are on right. The thermostat is good cause I tested it in boiling water. I dont know what the hell is going on. I just hope I didnt hurt my new motor cause it got really hot a couple of times trying to nurse it back home. I had to keep pulling over and opening the hood and letting it cool down.

I think my oil cooler might be messed up. I had a guy take it apart and clean it out before I put it back on and I did notice coolant leaking from it after driving it for a few miles after it got really hot. When I first had the motor runnning in my garage up to operating temp it didnt leak at all.

I dont know if the seals are bad on it or what. But now I sit with a broke down car once again. It runs but overheats....any ideas/ suggestions?

The only other thing I did differently is I'm not using the factory coolant tube that runs under the intake manifold anymore. I'm using a heater hose.

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
I second the burbing one. If you don't fill the system correctly it will overheat and trap a bubble.

You need to fill the coolant system from the plug in the crossover tube as Todd mentioned. I fill the system until the degas bottle fills about 1/2 way. I then cap the crossover tube and start the car. Put the heat on the hotest and highest setting. Let it idle there until it hits operating temp. As it gets there you will probably see the water level in the degas bottle go up. Once the T-stat opens the degas bottle will drop down. Top it off and you are good.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
Yeah I did it all wrong. I filled up the coolant tank. Then I filled it up from that plug on the tube.... I figured it would do that too (trap a big air bubble) cause when I would take the cap off the coolant tank it would burb coolant everywhere. I'm a virgin when it comes to 4 valves. Thanks for the heads up.

I still dont know why my oil cooler was leaking? When I ran the car in my garage up on jack stands up to operating temp for like 10 mins it didnt leak at all...? Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
Well the verdict is that I definately need a new oil cooler. Me and Terminated97 burped the cooling system with fresh coolant and she purred like a kitten and stayed cool running for about 20 mins. So I'm going to order a new cooler tomorrow and hopefully be able to get some good break in miles by the weekend.

She one sexy bitch though all cleaned up.... When I button her up for good I'll post all my pics of the build minus when my camera died lol... and pics with my new shoes (03' Cobra rims), nino sport tail tint, and Mikeys old Magnaflow cat back all polished up :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info