• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Head Gasket Problems???????????

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
I think I blew my head gasket. I have the following symptoms:

1) Exhaust smells a little different (Cobra Jack noticed it, I also think it does now too)
2) Antifreeze spurts out from radiator cap while on track. I tried various levels of coolant in the overflow tank + burped cooling system to no avail. Temps are below max temps I have seen before and cap was changed to no avail.
3) Appearance of three antifreeze puddles on garage floor below where X pipe connects to Catback, one for each flange. (I am running a weak antifreeze mixture)
4) Engine hiccupped on track twice w/ plenty of fuel in tank.
5) Engine idles rough when I start it, and shakes like it has a broken motor mount.
6) Trail of water that appears to have run from outside of exhaust pipe where it connects to exhaust manifold on right side all along the bottom of the pipe to the flange by the X

How much time to replace the head gasket myself?
Does the K member need to be dropped engine removed?
Is it straight forward or a nightmare to do myself?
What is a good price to pay a shop to do it?
Can the car be driven on track w/ a bad gasket, or is it very bad for the engine? Track event this Friday…

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
no pushrods means its easier, in my tiny little world. but my frame of reference is FE engines, which are more involved than windsor moders.

vince, i have the tools to time the cams. the rest is just like any other engine, with the exception of the head resurfacing. mod motors want it mirror smooth.

does this mean you're calling off friday? i'm ok with moving it to october.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Welcome to the club!
I wasted no time fixing my head gasket...
DSC02895.JPG

DSC02905.JPG

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Welcome to the club!
I wasted no time fixing my head gasket...
DSC02895.JPG

DSC02905.JPG

Oh so you figured out the problem Zack. Well at least you did the teardown yourself and saved some $. I wasnt aware these cars were known for popping head gaskets especially the 03-04 motors. Only the design flaw in the flow of coolant to the driver side head, wich I fixed with the LDC cooling mod.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
didn't you have audrey as an instructor once? she can drive the wheels off a car.
Audrey is insane! In a good way. :D
Any chance it could be your cooling mod plumbing?

I thought code P0001 was "Drives Like A Girl With Her Hair On Fire"
I don't know how it could be the cooling mod.

Try a leak down test. That may show something, or pressurize the cooling system and check for leaks. Pay close attentioin to the area of the heater hoses.

Dan
I did a compression test today, except it was on a cold engine w/ all the plugs out w/ 6 rotations. Measured cyl press from 155 ~ 170. I will try tomorrow w/ a warm engine and all plugs slightly loose as instructions indicate. I will also look for a leak down tester.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
compression test wont tell you anything except if you had a big hole in a piston etc..

DO a leakdown and warm up the motor prior... also, go and get a RADIATOR PRESSURE TESTER and pump it to 15-20psi... let it sit for about an hr and see where it is... make sure the plugs are out of the motor though.. if you go back and the pressure has dropped, crank the motor and see which cylinder has antifreeze coming out of it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info