• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Just bougth 2003 Cobra Convertible / Good buy??

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
Hi,

I just bought a 2003 Cobra Convertible Sonic Blue in color. Car is in what appears to be good shape, but the supercharger sounds horrible and needs replacement. The rest of the car seems pretty sound, all stock but dynamax exhaust. I paid 25K for the car, plus it is going to cost me 1400 for the eaton from ford. Did I get an ok price on the car? Is 1400 a ok deal for the blower? Why is the blower bad, was the car beat on?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sep 17, 2005
Hi,

I just bought a 2003 Cobra Convertible Sonic Blue in color. Car is in what appears to be good shape, but the supercharger sounds horrible and needs replacement. The rest of the car seems pretty sound, all stock but dynamax exhaust. I paid 25K for the car, plus it is going to cost me 1400 for the eaton from ford. Did I get an ok price on the car? Is 1400 a ok deal for the blower? Why is the blower bad, was the car beat on?

no that is a crappy deal for the blower. my friend is selling his steigemeir stage 4 ported for $700.00. pm if interested. besides that though that is too much, if you want a totally stock eaton supercharger you should be able to find 1 for under $1,000. fair price on the car though, i think. you didnt say how many miles it had on it.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
It's possible the noise is coming from the snout. There is as drive connector inside that gets worn. It may be somethng as simple as that.
That is easily repaired, requiring only the removal of the snout.

On the other hand, some decent used low mile blowers have been offered here already.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Curt bought my spare blower/tb/plenum today. The dealer is going to install it for him soon. He negotiated the installation of a replacement with the sale of the car. I would tell dealer to give you the old blower back, then you can sell it or port it later. Even as a worn out blower, it has some value as a core.

Stangfreak91

TCG Elite Member
Dec 5, 2004
Hi,

Curt,
Kinda of late to ask that question when you've already bought the car? As long as your happy with it, i'm sure everyone else is happy for you. GL

Unistang

Mar 24, 2007
I bought my 03 redfire vert for 23 with 33k on the clock. Had a similar problem with the blower turned out the snout just needed to be rebuilt. The guy I bought it from was awesome and got it taken care of the week before i bought it. If you have any technical expertise, just pop it off yourself and send it to steggy. It really isn't that difficult. They have an excellent turn around time. And Curt, even if it was beat on, i wouldn't worry with a car that has a shortblock capable of near 1000hp when properly tuned. Worse case scenario you're going to need a clutch. Hell, you're probably going to replace all the parts that you'd have to worry about (if it WAS beat on) anyways should you decide to beef your ride up. If it starts, burns clean, and accelerates smooth... you should be in the clear.

My .02

Stangfreak91

TCG Elite Member
Dec 5, 2004
I bought my 03 redfire vert for 23 with 33k on the clock. Had a similar problem with the blower turned out the snout just needed to be rebuilt. The guy I bought it from was awesome and got it taken care of the week before i bought it. If you have any technical expertise, just pop it off yourself and send it to steggy. It really isn't that difficult. They have an excellent turn around time. And Curt, even if it was beat on, i wouldn't worry with a car that has a shortblock capable of near 1000hp when properly tuned. Worse case scenario you're going to need a clutch. Hell, you're probably going to replace all the parts that you'd have to worry about (if it WAS beat on) anyways should you decide to beef your ride up. If it starts, burns clean, and accelerates smooth... you should be in the clear.

My .02

Congrats....Had you posted that you were looking for one? There is a 2003 Cobra vert redfire with the chrome wheels at spring hill ford with 917 miles on it.
Congrats again on the new ride

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
Cobra Blower Repaired

Ok....Well thanks for all the info. I picked up the car Friday nite and it is running great. Thanks Vince, no problems with the blower. Very happy with the car, also I forgot to mention before but it has 40K miles. I probably should have held out for a better deal, but what can you do. Car is very quick and I am very happy with it. Just gotta sell my 93 cobra now. Thanks everyone for all the help!

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006
As far as the car....great buy fast convertible cant beat that!!! Like stated above just upgrade the blower to a Kenne Bell or a Whipple!!! These cars are not cheap to buy parts for. You should of gotten some money taken off the car if you knew the blower wasnt working right. Dont sweat it...your going to love the ride.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info