• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Mad vibration

TwoTonedRoush

Oct 6, 2006
Has any experienced a vibration that seems to be coming from the back IRS? I heard that Ford placed 12mm bolts in the front subframe instead of 14mm on some of the cobras, has any one had this issue? About 80mp it starts to vibrate the car only has 11,000 miles and brand new tires. The IRS just has to go, its given me nothing but problems, but any how has any one had this problem who knows that the had the wrong size bolts installed

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Their is a TSB out for both the rear half shafts and the drive shaft.

The half shaft vibs seem to happen at lower speeds, while the drive shaft will happen at highway speeds, this is per the TSB anyway...I had a HUGE vib, felt like I had a dildo stuck in my ass, turned out I bent my libery 26 spline input shaft.

On the subject of the 12 mm bolts, your correct they should be 14 mm bolts but they won't give you any type of vibs, just a glunking noise...

What are the mods on the car?

Kevin

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I had the vibe problem too when I first got the car. The driveline would vibrate between 60 and 70 mph and be so severe that the rear-view mirror became blurry.

The dealer replaced the driveshaft which basically moved the vibe up to 80 mph instead of 60 mph and reduced it slightly. Since I almost never drive 80 for extended periods, this was acceptable.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Swapping IRSs got rid of my 80+ vibration. I believe in my case, it was caused by something out of balance in the differential. I had the whole parts swap process [tires/wheels/driveshaft/wheel bearings/half shafts] but replacing the IRS was what eventually fixed the problem.

Tell you the truth Cliff, I think whoever installed your gears, installed them worng..Just my .02

Kevin

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
steering wheel shaking is in the front. if you feel it in your butt coming through the seat, its in the rear. rpm-dependant vibration is in front of the trans, speed dependant vibe is trans and rearward.

shitty tires will still balance, and a bent wheel will balance if you add enough weight. but it will still vibe because its bent...

as always, check your wheel bearings.

as far as two tone roush's problem goes, i'd say the poly diff bushings most likely have the pinion at the wrong angle. it should be parallel to the engine's angle. you could also try re-indexing the driveshaft with regards to the companion flange on the diff. there are six positions in which it can mate to the companion flange.

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Some reading

Attachments

• Noise Vibration and Harshness Description and Operation.pdf
    145.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Noise Vibration and Harshness Diagnosis and Testing.pdf
    784.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Powertrain-Drivetrain Mount Neutralizing.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Driveline System.pdf
    525.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Differential.pdf
    979.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Wheel Bearing Check.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 51

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
Some reading

IRS differential Mounts, Aluminum, pinion angle adjustable
[click for larger image]
$249.95
Part #: MMIRSB-40
Manufacturer: Maximum Motorsports
Aluminum Differential Bushing Kit features:

* The MM Aluminum Differential Bushing Kit replaces all three stock rubber bushing sets.
* The MM Aluminum bushings allow the pinion angle to be raised by over 4 degrees. This means that the pinion angle can be adjusted to minimize driveline vibrations.

Would this solve it?

Venomblue22

If you only knew
Mar 7, 2005
That car was well over 80 plenty of times with no vibrations? Considering what happened to it, would you not think a rim is bent, a half shaft is bent anything in the suspension could be bent considering it came down from 4 ft in the air?

Attachments

• Fucked 007.jpg
    Fucked 007.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 80

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
[click for larger image]
$249.95
Part #: MMIRSB-40
Manufacturer: Maximum Motorsports
Aluminum Differential Bushing Kit features:

* The MM Aluminum Differential Bushing Kit replaces all three stock rubber bushing sets.
* The MM Aluminum bushings allow the pinion angle to be raised by over 4 degrees. This means that the pinion angle can be adjusted to minimize driveline vibrations.

Would this solve it?

Mine was solved with powertrain-drivetrain mount neutralizing. It all depends on what you got.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info