• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Welding question

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
This may be a question for Bob but Ill throw it out there anyhow
I will be welding my axle tubes on the solid, putting in my full length SFC and possibly fabbing my own exhaust from the downpipes back here very shortly. Im using my MIG welder and am curious how to make it safe so I dont smoke the SCT chip? Do I need to take it out or will I be ok just removing the battery cables?
Also has anyone done the axle tubes themself? If so do you think that a MIG welder will get it deep enough and at what setting and gauge wire? It will be fluxcore wire for the weld.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
btw, i welded my axle tubes years ago... when i decided to get my rear end narrowed, the ends were bent in 1/2 inch on both sides... when i welded it, i went slowly (with it out of the car too).. i did 1 inch at a time and opposite sides to even the pull... the 2 different types of metal make penetration kind of funky.. My advice, remove the rear end, find someone with a JIG, and have it tigged.

Oct 5, 2006
OK thanks Bob. Was figuring 1 inch at a time and letting it cool before hitting it again but that is pretty thick there so I think Ill let someone else TIG it for me. Thanks

Definetly doesn't hurt to disconnect the battery and pull out the computer. We have a rear end jig and mig/tig machines. Give us a call when you're looking to have it done. (815) 726-3838 :biggthump

Thanks!
David @ DIDRace.Com

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info