• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

engine gone

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
It depends... we have talked about how far we would take these cars into what gear. The cars are tuned for a 1:1 which is 4th gear, however, load increases after that which basically puts more strain on the engine. I don't know many people that live at 120+, but we don't have the Autobahn, probably a good thing we don't. Without necessary cooling mod, etc., I could see this being detrimental as it has.

y2k4cobra

04 Screaming Yellow Cobra
Jun 13, 2007
It depends... we have talked about how far we would take these cars into what gear. The cars are tuned for a 1:1 which is 4th gear, however, load increases after that which basically puts more strain on the engine. I don't know many people that live at 120+, but we don't have the Autobahn, probably a good thing we don't. Without necessary cooling mod, etc., I could see this being detrimental as it has.

x2. high speed blasts + long periods of time = death to the motor.. There have been a couple of people on SVTP that have down some 165pmh+ blasts and all of a sudden they found the "tick" monster in there car..

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I dunno why people would want to go that fast in these cars anyway I have only gotten to 120+ a couple times and I could tell the car doesnt like it:nono: start to feel some vibration and the car loses some of its structure

You have a problem somewhere in the drive train, suspension or wheels/tires. The car should get up to 140-150 before it starts to feel a little light. I had high speed vibration that two dealerships couldn't find but when Lyle and Dana swapped rear ends for me, the vibration disappeared. Car is once again smooth at high speeds.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
You have a problem somewhere in the drive train, suspension or wheels/tires. The car should get up to 140-150 before it starts to feel a little light. I had high speed vibration that two dealerships couldn't find but when Lyle and Dana swapped rear ends for me, the vibration disappeared. Car is once again smooth at high speeds.

Im about 90% sure its the tires I havent had a chance to get them rotated and its not a bad vibration but I know its there hasnt gotten worse since it started. I havent gotten to the 140mph mark yet:eek: and im not in too much of a hurry:D

Dirk

Aug 29, 2007
I'm running 5w30 oil and had no problems so far driving the car at 150mph for ~ 5min.
But my engine is still stock, might be that’s why it's still alive.

I got the following mods waiting:
Bassani x-pipe, M58 Catback, 2.93 pulley, BBK twin 65 TB, cold air kit.

With that I’m going to install a additional engine (electric vented) oil cooler via sandwich adapter and a dual pass LFP heat exchanger and the LDC cooling mod.
I hope that takes care of the problem.

I’m also thinking about getting a methanol injection kit to keep the temperature down at high speed, but I’m not sure if that really helps.

How does that sound?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
You have a problem somewhere in the drive train, suspension or wheels/tires. The car should get up to 140-150 before it starts to feel a little light.

I agree.

I've driven at 125 for extended periods on empty country roads and the car was hunkered down and very stable. It felt the same as if I was doing 60.

It also didn't take much effort to maintain that speed and the car felt like it could run that fast all day. Those guys on the Autobahn must've had some other problems. That 0W-40 oil would be my first suspect and they might have been doing 160+ for all we know.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm running 5w30 oil and had no problems so far driving the car at 150mph for ~ 5min.
But my engine is still stock, might be that’s why it's still alive.

I got the following mods waiting:
Bassani x-pipe, M58 Catback, 2.93 pulley, BBK twin 65 TB, cold air kit.

With that I’m going to install a additional engine (electric vented) oil cooler via sandwich adapter and a dual pass LFP heat exchanger and the LDC cooling mod.
I hope that takes care of the problem.

I’m also thinking about getting a methanol injection kit to keep the temperature down at high speed, but I’m not sure if that really helps.

How does that sound?
The more you do, the cooler the motor will run. An aftermarket radiator and fans for the heat exchanger are also good ideas.

I don't know about using methanol injection for extended periods to keep heat down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info