• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Battery light on, am i looking for 3rd alternator?

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
ok guys, after having some fun with CSVT members tonight, i parked the car and had something to eat, when i got back to my car, battery light came on.

the car was fine all the way to my house (1 hour drive).

i blew the stock alternator around 2 months ago and i got autozone alternator and installed it and i blew it at track (on of the tetth from the fan was broken) and i went ahead and bought factory alternator from ford dealership 1 month ago and installed it (Yes, i installed it correctly, i even posted step by step instructions)

so what do you guys think the problem could be now? did i blow another alternator? or somethingelse is wrong? OR, something is wrong and that kills the alternator?

Just trying to figure out whats up cuz it is unreal, 3 alternators in 2 months!:(

is there a way to test the alternator and see if it is good or bad while the alternator is still in the car? or is there some kind of test that can tell me what is wrong??

I need help. Thanks a lot!!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Autometer and other companies make charging system analyzers. Dealers and most decent sized shops have them. Pick one of our vendors who is close to you and get your charging system analyzed before spending the money for another alternator. 3 alternators in two months suggests there is some other problem.

y2k4cobra

04 Screaming Yellow Cobra
Jun 13, 2007
a lot of times if you have a bad battery it will smoke alternators because the alternator will try to fast charge a dying battery and that burns out the diodes in the alternator. I would test the battery first or take it into a shop to have them look at it.

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
Is the battery original? When my alternator went I had autozone test the battery and it was shot too.

I have no idea if it is original. when i got the car, the car was stock so i assume the battery is from the factory too.

but a bad battery can kill alternators? I will go to autozone and they will test the alternator out.

I don't anna get under the car and take the alternator out and test it. AGAIN...

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
I have no idea if it is original. when i got the car, the car was stock so i assume the battery is from the factory too.

but a bad battery can kill alternators? I will go to autozone and they will test the alternator out.

I don't anna get under the car and take the alternator out and test it. AGAIN...

Autozone can test the battery and the ALT but they have to be off the car. You can have the ALT off in like 10 mins, you should be a pro now. :D

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
Autozone can test the battery and the ALT but they have to be off the car. You can have the ALT off in like 10 mins, you should be a pro now. :D

Yeah, lol, i can probably take the alternator out in 15 mins. first, they tod me to bring the car and they wil do 2 different tests and then if they see no problem, then i will wait till wife comes home and take the damn alternator out and take the wife's car and test it out and see how it is.

No way i can blow another alternator. I know factory alternator is crap but come on, it shouldn't be this bad. it has been only 2-3k miles since i put the alternator on.:dunno::crying:

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
ok, i got in the car to go to autozone and damn light was still on. i drove 1 mile and light was gone! :whoknows:

I went ahead and asked the autozone clerk to test it out. he tested the battery and it was around 169-170amps and he did starter simulator and it only dropped 1 amp and went back to normal. He said battery is good.

he did another test and he said that my voltage is a little low. my voltage was 12.99-13.00V with full A/C and radio on. and then i turned the headlights and fog lights on and it went down to 12.5-12.6V

he told me that it might be fuse, or relay or maybe wiring.

the light is still off, so what do you guys suggest to do? how can i check if my fuse is bad, or relay is bad or wiring is bad?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
The only thing you can check for at the moment is loose wires.
If the problem is intermittent, it is still probably your alternator. You'll just have wait until it fails again to have it checked.

When these cars first came out, there were 2 sources of problems with the alternator:
1) the wires on the rear of the alternator were loosening up.

2) the wires on the Battery Junction Box were loosening up, particularly the stud that protrudes out of it.
The Battery Junction Box is the black box right next to the battery.

You can also check the ground wires that connect to the engine.

Dana

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
The only thing you can check for at the moment is loose wires.
If the problem is intermittent, it is still probably your alternator. You'll just have wait until it fails again to have it checked.

When these cars first came out, there were 2 sources of problems with the alternator:
1) the wires on the rear of the alternator were loosening up.

2) the wires on the Battery Junction Box were loosening up, particularly the stud that protrudes out of it.
The Battery Junction Box is the black box right next to the battery.

You can also check the ground wires that connect to the engine.

Dana

Thanks a lot Dana!

I will check those.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Autozone Alternators are junk. 100% not worth buying. The best thing they are for is paper weights. I had tons of alternators fail on different cars, all the alternators were from autozone.

Return the alternator, go to Ford and buy a brand new one, NOT REUBILT. Problem will be sloved for awhile.

Kevin

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Autozone Alternators are junk. 100% not worth buying. The best thing they are for is paper weights. I had tons of alternators fail on different cars, all the alternators were from autozone.

Return the alternator, go to Ford and buy a brand new one, NOT REUBILT. Problem will be sloved for awhile.

Kevin

Damn you, I wish you would have typed this BEFORE i replaced mine with one from autozone! LOL

So far so good, but now I am scared. :eek:

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006

Kevin

Kevin, been there, done that! when i first blew the alternator, i bought one from autozone and 15 days later, at GLD alternator gave up. i was like f*ck autozne and got my money back and went to rod baker ford and ordered a brand new one. it has been in for a little over a month now and i had the battery light on yesterday. I just went to autozone to test it since they do it for free.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Kevin, been there, done that! when i first blew the alternator, i bought one from autozone and 15 days later, at GLD alternator gave up. i was like f*ck autozne and got my money back and went to rod baker ford and ordered a brand new one. it has been in for a little over a month now and i had the battery light on yesterday. I just went to autozone to test it since they do it for free.

Did you buy a NEW one or a rebuilt one, the new units are more $$. Check all of the fuses make sure everything is good. Maybe you have a loose connector/dirty connector on the alternator. How many miles on the car?

You could try a PA performance alternator, I am using one. They are hit or miss with those too.

Damn you, I wish you would have typed this BEFORE i replaced mine with one from autozone! LOL

So far so good, but now I am scared. :eek:

Stay away from Auto Zone parts they are all junk. I used to work a Midas, they used all Auto Zone parts :rolleyes: What a shitty Co.

In the end, you get what you pay for.

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
Did you buy a NEW one or a rebuilt one, the new units are more $$. Check all of the fuses make sure everything is good. Maybe you have a loose connector/dirty connector on the alternator. How many miles on the car?

You could try a PA performance alternator, I am using one. They are hit or miss with those too.

I bought new unit. my car just turned into 43k miles.

I have heard horror stories about PA performance alternators. I will check the connectors and see whats up. so far battery light is gone:dunno:

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
1. DON'T buy ALTERNATORS from Auto Zone.
2. If your alternator died at one point, and you drove a lot (or really hard) the only power you had was coming from the battery, which is probably fried.
3. Buy a factory (or a GOOD rebuilt one) and buy a new battery.
4. DON'T buy a PA Performance alternator...it's not worth it and you don't need it, trust me. The factory alternator is fine.

Good luck, I've been through all this before.

-Mike

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
1. DON'T buy ALTERNATORS from Auto Zone.
2. If your alternator died at one point, and you drove a lot (or really hard) the only power you had was coming from the battery, which is probably fried.
3. Buy a factory (or a GOOD rebuilt one) and buy a new battery.
4. DON'T buy a PA Performance alternator...it's not worth it and you don't need it, trust me. The factory alternator is fine.

Good luck, I've been through all this before.

-Mike

yeah, i learned my lesson with autozone alternator and bought a brand new alternator from ford.

i hope i am not having another laternator issue cuz it is a new alternator and it has only been in the car for 2-3k miles i guess.:crying:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info