• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Bye Bye 4.10s... Hello 3.55s

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Some of you may know my rear end decided to start eating the gears last week. I wasn't sure what the vibration/rumble was so Sutton diagnosed it as the rear end needing a rebuild. That's expensive so I was looking for cheaper options.

I talked with Doug at Sutton and he let me know that Bruce [Black Cobra, Sutton build...] was trying to sell his IRS. Low miles and reasonable price. I bought it and brought it and my car out to Dan's. He and Lyle swapped the IRSs today. I still need to pull out my speed calibrator to fix the speedo and the car needs to be aligned but it is running well and the vibration is gone. Now I have to get used to the difference in gear ratios. Going from 4.10 to 3.55 is quite a difference.

By the way, Dan was right when he told me 4.10s would be too much for the street with 500 hp. I can actually get traction again with the 3.55s. With the 4.10s, you can't put the power to the ground without sticky drag radials.

My thanks to Dan, Lyle and Doug and everyone who helped one way or another. :biggthump

Shelby Guy has dibs on my IRS but I'll put it up for sale here if he doesn't take it.

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
Some of you may know my rear end decided to start eating the gears last week. I wasn't sure what the vibration/rumble was so Sutton diagnosed it as the rear end needing a rebuild. That's expensive so I was looking for cheaper options.

I talked with Doug at Sutton and he let me know that Bruce [Black Cobra, Sutton build...] was trying to sell his IRS. Low miles and reasonable price. I bought it and brought it and my car out to Dan's. He and Lyle swapped the IRSs today. I still need to pull out my speed calibrator to fix the speedo and the car needs to be aligned but it is running well and the vibration is gone. Now I have to get used to the difference in gear ratios. Going from 4.10 to 3.55 is quite a difference.

By the way, Dan was right when he told me 4.10s would be too much for the street with 500 hp. I can actually get traction again with the 3.55s. With the 4.10s, you can't put the power to the ground without sticky drag radials.

My thanks to Dan, Lyle and Doug and everyone who helped one way or another. :biggthump

Shelby Guy has dibs on my IRS but I'll put it up for sale here if he doesn't take it.

+1 on getting used to the 3.55's from 4.10's. The plus for me is my turbos come online real quick to make up for it

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
We didn't have time or the energy to disassemble the carrier to determine the exact cause of failure, but we are definitely interested in knowing.
So, to who ever buys this IRS, please let us know what you find when you pull the cover off.
I'm just guessing here, but it may be the pinion bearing.

Thanks,
Dan

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Shelby Guy is the new owner of my IRS. If anyone can figure out what's wrong with it, he can.

I'm guessing here but I have had 80 mph+ vibration for nearly the entire life of the car. It's been in for service several times at various shops with no success at finding the problem. With the replacement rear end, the vibration is gone. :headbang:

My guess is there was something wrong with the gears/bearings/shims/etc. in the casing that caused the vibration. Sutton swapped the halfshafts during their diagnosis so they weren't the problem. Wasn't the drive shaft or wheel bearings either. Leads me to believe that the vibration was caused by an imbalance or problem with some of the gears/bearings/shims/etc. in the rear end for most of the car's life, even before the 4.10s were installed. I'd guess it was a factory problem that was just never found.

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
Shelby Guy is the new owner of my IRS. If anyone can figure out what's wrong with it, he can.

I'm guessing here but I have had 80 mph+ vibration for nearly the entire life of the car. It's been in for service several times at various shops with no success at finding the problem. With the replacement rear end, the vibration is gone. :headbang:

My guess is there was something wrong with the gears in the casing that caused the vibration. Sutton swapped the halfshafts during their diagnosis so they weren't the problem. Wasn't the drive shaft or wheel bearings either. Leads me to believe that the vibration was caused by an imbalance or problem with some of the gears in the rear end for most of the car's life, even before the 4.10s were installed. I'd guess it was a factory problem that was just never found.

imbalance in the driveshaft??

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Driveline vibration is rarely caused by gears.

Same driveshaft now and the vibration is gone.

That is actually the third driveshaft the car has had and the vibe has always been there. Symptoms lead me to believe that something inside the casing was causing the vibe. Either gears, shims or whatever. I'm no expert on the internal components but the clues lead that way.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Cliff who installed the 4.10's?

Sutton put them in a few years ago. I had the 80 mph+ vibe before the 4.10 gears were installed as well as after.

Edit-Tirapelli Ford originally looked for the vibe causes but didn't find them. Sutton also checked the vibe out but didn't get the car up fast enough to vibrate if I remember right.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Sutton put them in a few years ago. I had the 80 mph+ vibe before the 4.10 gears were installed as well as after.

Edit-Tirapelli Ford originally looked for the vibe causes but didn't find them. Sutton also checked the vibe out but didn't get the car up fast enough to vibrate if I remember right.

Well all that matters is the vib is gone.

When I had my bent input shaft, I hated the car, I didn't even want to drive it...When it was fixed it was like brand new again
:headbang:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info