• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

JLT RAI horrible to install

Unoid

Libertarian Massa
Aug 30, 2004
I proceeded to install my JLT RAI. It was a complete bitch. The worm clamps weren't sized right to allow for easy clamping (needing some 1" longer ones)

Its amazingly hard to get the whole thing to get in position and acutally clamped and fit together.

Right now I can't get the heatshield to fit over the filter cause the filter is pushing for the sky! So I'll leave it off until I decide to reinstall the intake.
(any NWI owners who've done it wanna help?)

Anyways heres pics:

Heres how the fitment is barely working, see the angle the pipe hits the elbow:
jlt-rai-prob.jpg

Engine bay (just rained on me!!)
cobra-engine.jpg

I haven't gotten a chance to feel power uppage or blower noise (weather is sucky)

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Think you got problems? Try installin a high boost intake...The filter goes thur the fender. total bitch

Loosen everything untill you get all the stuff were you want it then tighten everthing. It takes a ton of messing around to get it right. I've got about 4 hours install time messing around w/ mine getting it perfect.

Kevin

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
Think you got problems? Try installin a high boost intake...The filter goes thur the fender. total bitch

Loosen everything untill you get all the stuff were you want it then tighten everthing. It takes a ton of messing around to get it right. I've got about 4 hours install time messing around w/ mine getting it perfect.

Kevin

4 HOURS!!!!! Holy shit cocky....

I got my motor out and down to this in 5hrs :lmao:

100_0001.jpg

Emil

Regular
May 1, 2004
A few weeks ago I replaced my CAI with a RAI (because the filter was getting beat up pretty bad, oil, water). You're right, it is a pain in the butt but once you mess with it enough and figure it out all's good.
BTW, didn't really notice any decrease in performance either but I don't get into it much when it's hot anyway.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
I haven't gotten a chance to feel power uppage or blower noise (weather is sucky)

Yeah mine was a complete pain in the ass....I have it along with the KB cold air in the fender well. I will just say this I put mine on and it turned out I needed to get retuned....my car was falling on its ass because it jacked up my a/f I dunno if it was how I had my car tuned but I did need a retune because of it.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005

Kevin

You aint shittin. I had that same intake on my 04 and it also took me all night to install it and get it right. The directions were in black and white and they were for the older design which was different then the newer one I got. It made awesome power on my pulley car, but the install was horrible.

Brian

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
until you change the radiator and lose the 2nd mount point. leaving it hang from just the one bolt will volcano out the hole every time. its not a question of if, its a question of when. i eventually ended up using an expanding rubber nut-sert for doing mercedes license plate brackets. its kinda like a threaded rubber rivet in how the back end pulls tight.

my k&n was 5 min, and works just fine

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info