• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

whose got a vortech?

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
On my 97 Cobra I have had a 1.7L Kenne Bell and a Vortech. The Vortech was a much better blower hands down. The lack of an intercooler and much displacement the KB ran out of steam fast and didn't make great numbers.

The Vortech worked great and made more power at the same boost level. The inlet temps aren't that bad either and at low boost don't really require any cooling if you don't want. I personally used some meth injection.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
just wondering how many people here got a vortech on there cobra and if they like it alot or if they wish they went with something else. i think i am going to go vortech this winter and im just trying to get an idea on how people like them. Also what kind of number you put down.

thanks

Dude, just call kurgan and ask him about them. He makes some serious power with his and has made serious power with other people's.

Just call kurgan and he can answer your questions.

sschassis

Senior Nilater
Jul 6, 2005
:burnout:
My 95 cobra runs 10.50 -135 for now with stock 351w steel headed motor on T-trim 15psi 3800 pound plus .. with no intercooler…. I have gone with it 9.60 -142 -1.40 60ft also no intercooler with C6 trans works great on my stock style suspension with auburn posi & 3.55 gear ...3 or 4 years go with it different motor still have A/C & all, on YS-setup with same boost level now still no cage …Always have had shaft bearing problem

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
:burnout:
My 95 cobra runs 10.50 -135 for now with stock 351w steel headed motor on T-trim 15psi 3800 pound plus .. with no intercooler…. I have gone with it 9.60 -142 -1.40 60ft also no intercooler with C6 trans works great on my stock style suspension with auburn posi & 3.55 gear ...3 or 4 years go with it different motor still have A/C & all, on YS-setup with same boost level now still no cage …Always have had shaft bearing problem

what is the shaft bearing problem? i have one on my 94 cobra and i have to send in the blower for warranty work cuz its makin some noise. hard to explain what kind of noise it is making, i am wondering if it is that shaft bearing u are talking about

sschassis

Senior Nilater
Jul 6, 2005
I've been running a Vortech since 1998....... S-trim, T-trim, and now the Driverside V7 YSi.......I wouldn't put any other Blower on my car.....I love mine:)
Good for you don’t have problem :biggthump

I have use vortex since late 80s A trim & R trim…Vortex on SN blower setup since 95... It’s different from fox setup,
SN setup its mounted more further forward than the fox setup plus completely different kit….from 8 to10 ribs up grade did not make it batter beaus the blower pulley are further pass the shaft also there is lot of load & weight on bearing because the pulley so far out…that’s when the bearing start giving away…I had problem with T trim it was fix twice it was up grade YS fix once than YS was discontinue...Problem again .. it was also up grade for V7 YSI Renegade setup for the driver side which I still have in box…
Plus this street car this car has thousand miles & thousand of runs, which still runs today so there is different
& few thousands for repairs & up grades…. Thanks nile

REN#4106

TCG Elite Member
Nov 8, 2005
Good for you don’t have problem :biggthump

I have use vortex since late 80s A trim & R trim…Vortex on SN blower setup since 95... It’s different from fox setup,
SN setup its mounted more further forward than the fox setup plus completely different kit….from 8 to10 ribs up grade did not make it batter beaus the blower pulley are further pass the shaft also there is lot of load & weight on bearing because the pulley so far out…that’s when the bearing start giving away…I had problem with T trim it was fix twice it was up grade YS fix once than YS was discontinue...Problem again .. it was also up grade for V7 YSI Renegade setup for the driver side which I still have in box…
Plus this street car this car has thousand miles & thousand of runs, which still runs today so there is different
& few thousands for repairs & up grades…. Thanks nile

It’s different from fox setup

Um ya it is different

I don't think you used the VORTECH not Vortex in the late 80's since the Company begain in 1990.......not sure why you had the problem with the T and YS do to they both were built with Heavy Duty race bearings that can support a cog system......The only failure that I ever experianced is once my oil feed line got clogged with Silicone and seized the S-trim head unit due to lack of oil......

sschassis

Senior Nilater
Jul 6, 2005
Um ya it is different

I don't think you used the VORTECH not Vortex in the late 80's since the Company begain in 1990.......not sure why you had the problem with the T and YS do to they both were built with Heavy Duty race bearings that can support a cog system......The only failure that I ever experianced is once my oil feed line got clogged with Silicone and seized the S-trim head unit due to lack of oil......
Ok you right I just remembered was in 1991… beaus I build ASSC 1990 Mazda Miata with 302 install & custom blower bracket setup for A trim than was R trim at same time I build custom 4 link setup also for that in 1991 for ASSC.. that time I was associate with ASSC .
BTW thanks for correct VORTECH spell I was responding to you at 1AM.. So whether late 80s or 90s doesn’t matter
Same time don’t under estimate me I been around to long... I know what I am talking about
Yes it was bearing failure every Time
There excuse was to much tension on bearing …which I agree …if there is no tension on that belt will been slipping & drop in boost … at same time SN bracket were to weak or flimsy wasn’t design for maximum power… you can see the bracket flexing under boost on dyno…I have the car on dyno now with T trim setup ... it’s not just me How abut the member 2 posited after me.. Way his bearing is noisy

I send the blower just to install $30 bearing & $10 seal almost $800 with shipping
Because they have flat fee of $650 to $700 …for ½ to 1 hour worth of labor

So you are here under score in me that's cool...You are sponsor by them or you on there teem fine I can see you defending them …but I am not knocking the product down….just because I still using there blowers
I know what problem I had if you want to argue about it AL drink for that here is # 847 678 3000 thanks nile

REN#4106

TCG Elite Member
Nov 8, 2005
Ok you right I just remembered was in 1991… beaus I build ASSC 1990 Mazda Miata with 302 install & custom blower bracket setup for A trim than was R trim at same time I build custom 4 link setup also for that in 1991 for ASSC.. that time I was associate with ASSC .
BTW thanks for correct VORTECH spell I was responding to you at 1AM.. So whether late 80s or 90s doesn’t matter
Same time don’t under estimate me I been around to long... I know what I am talking about
Yes it was bearing failure every Time
There excuse was to much tension on bearing …which I agree …if there is no tension on that belt will been slipping & drop in boost … at same time SN bracket were to weak or flimsy wasn’t design for maximum power… you can see the bracket flexing under boost on dyno…I have the car on dyno now with T trim setup ... it’s not just me How abut the member 2 posited after me.. Way his bearing is noisy

I send the blower just to install $30 bearing & $10 seal almost $800 with shipping
Because they have flat fee of $650 to $700 …for ½ to 1 hour worth of labor

So you are here under score in me that's cool...You are sponsor by them or you on there teem fine I can see you defending them …but I am not knocking the product down….just because I still using there blowers
I know what problem I had if you want to argue about it AL drink for that here is # 847 678 3000 thanks nile

Yes Nile I know you have been around a long time......We have spoken in person....you probally just dont remember....I know you own SS Chassis and have a Mustang Dyno....If VORTECH was telling you that the bearings were failing due to over tightening the belt why didnt you make thicker brackets so it would decrease the blower flex......did they ever recomend the blower to crank strut brace.......?

sschassis

Senior Nilater
Jul 6, 2005
Yes Nile I know you have been around a long time......We have spoken in person....you probally just dont remember....I know you own SS Chassis and have a Mustang Dyno....If VORTECH was telling you that the bearings were failing due to over tightening the belt why didnt you make thicker brackets so it would decrease the blower flex......did they ever recomend the blower to crank strut brace.......?

I am getting old can’t remember thing but if I see you in person I will remember you
They didn’t recommend anything for SN setup because, they have none. Unless I switch to fox setup
There is not much room in front of the motor for crank strut brace to the blower
I have gave it some thought before to make the brace & there’s no way to put one in there on this setup
I am building 400cubic plus than I would like to use my YSI Renegade setup than I have to Switch to fox engine accessories setup …… or turbo if time permitted?

REN#4106

TCG Elite Member
Nov 8, 2005
I am getting old can’t remember thing but if I see you in person I will remember you
They didn’t recommend anything for SN setup because, they have none. Unless I switch to fox setup
There is not much room in front of the motor for crank strut brace to the blower
I have gave it some thought before to make the brace & there’s no way to put one in there on this setup
I am building 400cubic plus than I would like to use my YSI Renegade setup than I have to Switch to fox engine accessories setup …… or turbo if time permitted?

I kinda figured that the Brace would be hard to use unless you changed a bunch of stuff around on the sn95 body.....you must of really been tring to make some boost if you were tighting down the belt that hard on the T-trim and YS to make the bearings go bad with a serp belt.......that 400ci+ YSi set up should send you deep in the 8's...good luck with the set up:biggthump

sschassis

Senior Nilater
Jul 6, 2005
I kinda figured that the Brace would be hard to use unless you changed a bunch of stuff around on the sn95 body.....you must of really been tring to make some boost if you were tighting down the belt that hard on the T-trim and YS to make the bearings go bad with a serp belt.......that 400ci+ YSi set up should send you deep in the 8's...good luck with the set up:biggthump
My car its tank I still want drive this thing around will see what happen

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info