• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Annoying trans rattle???

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
So after installing the LDC free-play kit I was hearing a high pitched whine when driving. I figured it was due to the cover over where the clutch cable connects to the trans not being on tight enough, so I checked it out and the "weather" stripping on one side of the aluminum case had been torn off. I picked up some new stuff and put it on, but now it almost seems worse. I've got the cable adjusted for about 1/8th in of slack, so I don't think it' the adjustment of it. It almost looks like the "fork" that the clutch cable connects to is hitting the casing??? I remember that fork moving a little when I did the install, is there a way that could have gotten screwed up at all somehow?

I'm reaching here, but the rattle is really annoying when driving... Thanks!

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
1. You broke the TOB Sleeve.

2. You have a bad TOB bearing

How old is the clutch?

The clutch is barely a year old, if that... I had the TOB replaced when I had the clutch put in as well.

Is the "fork" supposed to be able to move a little side to side when there's no pressure on the clutch cable?

It seems to get louder w/ the higher RPM's and isn't really there when I'm sitting at a stop in either Neutral or w/ the clutch down to the floor. I actually have to get some pressure on the clutch, not just take up any slack in the cable, to get it to go away...

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
The clutch is barely a year old, if that... I had the TOB replaced when I had the clutch put in as well.

Is the "fork" supposed to be able to move a little side to side when there's no pressure on the clutch cable?

It seems to get louder w/ the higher RPM's and isn't really there when I'm sitting at a stop in either Neutral or w/ the clutch down to the floor. I actually have to get some pressure on the clutch, not just take up any slack in the cable, to get it to go away...

The clutch fork is on a pivot ball so It can move which ever way.

If it is getting loader with noise then something is rubbing a moving component.

Since you live pretty close to me, Id be more then happy to take a look at it. After all, you let me barrow that tensioner.

Kevin

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
The clutch fork is on a pivot ball so It can move which ever way.

If it is getting loader with noise then something is rubbing a moving component.

Since you live pretty close to me, Id be more then happy to take a look at it. After all, you let me barrow that tensioner.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I may take you up on that offer... Gotta check my schedule and get back to ya...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• DSG03COBRA
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list