• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Solid Swap ????

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Hey Guys! I have someone who wants to swap my IRS for a Rebuilt Solid from an 03 GT. I was wondering should I get some $$$ for my IRS plus the swap or just do the swap because it would benefit me more??? I do like drag racing and don't do much track racing. What questions should I ask the guy before I decide on what to do? Will the Brakes be the same? He also has 4.10's so it would an even change. Should I find out what type of axles he has also? Basically I want to know if a solid will hold up more abuse than an IRS will. Keeping in mind their both built. For the guys who did the swap did you feel a big difference in handling?? Any feedback would be great Thanks Guys.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
If you need to lift the front end in order to plant more weight on the rear tires for traction....then do it. ( Don't we Wish )

Only YOU know what you need the car to be able to do. There's a long list of pro's and cons, but for the consistant DRAG RACER, it's a good deal. It all depends on what you'll really do with the car. I need both, If I had the money I'd campaign the car on a road course, but since I don't, I drag race it, and I'm just about done with that anyway.

Out on the streets I think the IRS is awesome, I think solid axles hop and bounce, but I only know from stock Mustangs in the past, I never drove a Roush Car, or Saleen, and they drive REAL nice on a track, so you have to consider that also.

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
WHY do you want to swap? I was the same way. I think the IRS is just fine. I think even if I break something I'll just replace it.

pretty sure he's thinkin about it cuz he broke the axle housing.

if u plan on doing alot of drag racing then go ahead with the swap. u will lose some ride quality on the street but thats a sacrifice when going with a solid.

plus, u can still brake solids, look at firstsvt for example, he calls himself the rear end killa and he's got a solid!! :p

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Thanks for the input guys. If I decide to stay with the IRS and now I have a dilemma.... which Diff should I buy??? Which one is stronger than stock and worth the $600 bucks im gonna spend on a stock one from the dealer? I heard a Detroit one would be good.... what do you guys think.

SONICobra

ITS STOK
Dec 1, 2005
i decided to do the swap because upgrading the irs for my power reliably would be atleast $2000+ and i still hear of people breaking stuff. i havent driven my car since the swap (still in pieces) but im happy with my decision. to be honest though, if i had to do it all over again i think i may have just bought some level 5's and call it a day seeing as this is more of a street car and the total cost of me doing the swap is almost $2000 including control arms, rear coilovers, and everything else, but atleast i wont have to worry about it. like others have said, its all up to you and what you want out of your car.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Hey Guys! I have someone who wants to swap my IRS for a Rebuilt Solid from an 03 GT. I was wondering should I get some $$$ for my IRS plus the swap or just do the swap because it would benefit me more??? I do like drag racing and don't do much track racing. What questions should I ask the guy before I decide on what to do? Will the Brakes be the same? He also has 4.10's so it would an even change. Should I find out what type of axles he has also? Basically I want to know if a solid will hold up more abuse than an IRS will. Keeping in mind their both built. For the guys who did the swap did you feel a big difference in handling?? Any feedback would be great Thanks Guys.
I wouldn't do it unless you spend alot of time at the dragstrip.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info