• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Pressure Testing

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
Forgot to post this last week
John (hoofnit1) I dont know how we missed this with the propane.

Capped both of the turbo inlets and both of the downpipes and charged the intake with 20# of dry air at the FRPS hose. Listening for leaks I could hear little ones but you wont hear the big ones and this thing wasnt building anything.... right on through and I could hear it. I could feel air hitting my hand near the left side of the crossover by the alternator. At first I thought it was coming from under the intake and thought the lower intake gasket wasnt seated right... SHIT!!! This wasnt working.
Broke out the soap bottle and look what I found. 3 nasty leaks, one each side of the SCT BA2800 coupler and on the bottom. It was spitting soap at me. Thats why I felt air rushing at my hand near the left side of the crossover tube. Explains why it was holding air for 5 minutes. Probably more but these are whoppers. The leaks at the BA2800 coupler were 1/16th inch each. That gasket is shit and its a common problem from what Ive been told so you guys with this coupler on here need to take a look. I could hold it up tothe light and see right out the other side of it.... that bad.
1 leak found on each of the NPT fittings I tapped into the intercooler and another one found in the NPT fitting I tapped in the EGR plate. All sealed up and I charged it again. Damn Autometer NV gauge I had connected wasnt registering anything. Somethings not right with that thing. Sport comp gauge in the car was registering 2# when I was hitting it with 20#. Couldnt figure that one out but that tank is old and I dont trust the gauge to be that accurate.
Charged it the other night and it was showing 2#, went in for dinner and when I came back out I pulled the hose on the intake to one of the blow offs.... WHOOOSH it was still holding.
Magnapacks came in last night and will get the custom exhaust work done hopefully this week. Man those Magnapacks are nice and look well crafted. Pisses me off that this distributor of them took almost a month to get them to me.
The thing that scars me yet is the GT40 pumps. Im scared Im going to break something with it. Thats the last thing to get done before it goes to Kurgan and the rollers.
Its a bitch trying to do this car and be on call, mega overtime and do work around the house. (wife just had surgery and out for 6 weeks)

100_0459.jpg

100_0458.jpg

pressure_test_1.jpg

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
Thanks
Forgot, there were 2 other leaks. Top of the intercooler where the silicone meets coming from the compressor housing. Both sides were leaking. Passenger side was spitting the soap on the radiator it was so bad.
I found that my T bolt clamps had all come loose somehow. Gonna have to find some lock nuts to put on them

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• S
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list