• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Diff Fluid?

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Hey guys I have a small leak in the Diff and Im going to get it fixed. I was wondering what is the best Oil for it? and What did you guys use (sealant, caulking, etc) to have it not leak anymore. Did you use the standard gasket from NAPA or Autozone? Hans says he uses some kind of Caulking. I would like to know so I can repair it tomorrow afternoon. I hear Cobras tend to have this problem. This might be due to no IRS brace installed but, I have the Brace and waiting to put it in.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Hey guys I have a small leak in the Diff and Im going to get it fixed. I was wondering what is the best Oil for it? and What did you guys use (sealant, caulking, etc) to have it not leak anymore. Did you use the standard gasket from NAPA or Autozone? Hans says he uses some kind of Caulking. I would like to know so I can repair it tomorrow afternoon. I hear Cobras tend to have this problem. This might be due to no IRS brace installed but, I have the Brace and waiting to put it in.

Its all about peace of mind...I have heard of people using the the silcone to seal the leak and it takes care of it but I didnt feel comfortable with what I considered to be a "temp fix"...but thats just me. I went thru and just had my seal replaced all together...... From what I have read sometimes the bolts on the cover "loosen up" and will end up causing the leak??:dunno:

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Its all about peace of mind...I have heard of people using the the silcone to seal the leak and it takes care of it but I didnt feel comfortable with what I considered to be a "temp fix"...but thats just me. I went thru and just had my seal replaced all together...... From what I have read sometimes the bolts on the cover "loosen up" and will end up causing the leak??:dunno:

Where did you buy the new gasket/seal? What silicone you used? Thanks for the input.

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
I use Royal Purple in most of my diff builds. It already has the additive in it and works really well. As for the cover seal, there's the right way to do it, and the other way. Be smart and replace the gasket. The trick is what you use with the gasket. Diff covers and transmission pan gaskets should never see silicone. The shit can get squeezed into the inside of the unit and cause big problems.

Racerx66

BiG MeMBeR
Apr 10, 2004
I use Royal Purple in most of my diff builds. It already has the additive in it and works really well. As for the cover seal, there's the right way to do it, and the other way. Be smart and replace the gasket. The trick is what you use with the gasket. Diff covers and transmission pan gaskets should never see silicone. The shit can get squeezed into the inside of the unit and cause big problems.

+1

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
03 and up Cobras, and I assume the rest of the 8.8's, no longer use a gasket. They use silicone sealant only.
The problem is that the IRS tends to loosen the bolts holding the cover onto the differential and have to be re-torqued periodically.

Dan

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Differential housing cover bolt 24 ft/lb
Rear axle differential rear insulator bolt 76 ft/lb

SAE 75W-140 High Performance Rear Axle Lubricant
Rear axle lubricant 2.9 pints + 4 oz. friction modifier

Clear Silicone Rubber (Ford number F7AZ-19554-CA) This is not the same as RTV.

All the above is from the Ford Service manual.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info