• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Lowered, what shocks/struts?

Shaggy

Adrenaline Junkie
Aug 24, 2005
Ive got H&R race springs ready to go in and was wondering what struts and shocks anyone uses with these? I see alot of people say the stock ones are fine but a few guys I know who deal with ALOT of high end race cars say these springs would drop the car to far for the stock ones and will wear them out alot faster.

I cant seem to find any "good name" brands with shocks for IRS except bilstien who wants an arm and a leg as a down payment.

Thanks.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
this is why they give you an assortment of spacers with caster/camber plates. Lowering the car without raising the top of the strut reduces the strut's bump travel. So to compensate, you figure out how much you dropped the ride height, and add that thickness of spacers between the top of the c/c plate and the nut on top of the strut.

If you're talking H&R Super Sports, you'll want something like the Steeda X2 ball joint to get the geometry back to a sane state. The h&r ss springs lower the car too much and put the front roll center height below the surface of the pavement.

The factory Terminator coupe struts and shocks should dampen the h&r product line just fine. The 00R struts and shocks match the H&R race spring rate a little better, but the difference is probably negligible.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
the race springs dont slam the car to the ground like the super sports. you should be ok.

if it bothers you, put the car on a rack, or over a pit or something, and see if the control arms are parallel to the ground. you should be able to draw a straight line from the ball joint on one side, through the control arm mounts, to the ball joint on the other side.

Ive got H&R race springs. Should I get the X2's?

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
the race springs dont slam the car to the ground like the super sports. you should be ok.

if it bothers you, put the car on a rack, or over a pit or something, and see if the control arms are parallel to the ground. you should be able to draw a straight line from the ball joint on one side, through the control arm mounts, to the ball joint on the other side.

Hey What about the regular sport springs? Not the super sport nor the race ones just the regular sport springs?

FUNDAD

Big Trouble in Little China
Apr 6, 2005
this is why they give you an assortment of spacers with caster/camber plates. Lowering the car without raising the top of the strut reduces the strut's bump travel. So to compensate, you figure out how much you dropped the ride height, and add that thickness of spacers between the top of the c/c plate and the nut on top of the strut.

This is probably what I am experiencing and just made a post about. Car is pretty low and I dont think the top of the strut was raised at all. Maybe I am suffering from " reduced strut bump travel " :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info