• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Lightning help

StangPwr

Slobra
Oct 26, 2006
After getting rid of my 03 Cobra a few months ago i missed being part of the SVT family so i recently went out and bought a 99 Lightning. Now these may be stupid questions... but i am stupid so bear with me. That i know of the truck has a CAI Long tube headers, 3" pipe no cats to a magnaflow catback, and traction bars. It also has some sort of pulley set up. It looks to me like an upper with idlers and it appears to me that it has a crank pulley too. A fellow lightning owner told me it is a 5lbs set up though? It also has some sort of chip with a 6 mode setting. It was on 1 when i bought it and i have left it there for now. The truck is at the dealer having a tranny seal replaced right now due to a leak so i havent had a chance to mess with it much. When i had it it feels decently quick but the boost guage barely ever rose above 5 lbs... SO im wondering what the deal is with that? WHen i bought the truck there was a sticker in the rear window reading "National Lightning Owners Club 11 Sec Club". My questions are what kind of boost do the trucks make stock? Why would it only be reading 5lbs ont he guage? And if it does have the mods listed above... what kind of numbers could i see on the dyno and on the track. I know little about the Lightnings so maybe these are dumb questions but id just like to know. Thanks for reading the book and any answers you may have.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Sounds like a nice find, got some good mods in there. Stock boost is 8 lbs, likely the gauge is messed up and/or you have a vacuum leak somewhere. It's a tiny little tube under the dash, I'd check it running into the firewall, there's at least one elbow/tee under the dash, and then follow it under the hood.

You should hit up www.nloc.net (National Lightning Owners Club) to see what you can find out about your truck, previous owner, etc. I'll bet a dollar that it was listed on their vehicle for sale section at some time with all the mods listed.

Good luck and welcome back!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• S
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list