• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

mod advise for lightning newbee.... what route should I go

SVTdubs

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
Im keeping this relatively stock. The stock exhaust flows quite nicely so I am keeping that stock.

The truck already has a diablo flip chip in it.
I want to get a JLT intake so the blower screams but Im torn over which pulley I should get. I want to get a pulley that doesnt require an upgraded maf, fuel system, etc. I just want an intake, chip, pulley truck, thats it.

So what pulley can I get that will be safe on the stock maf, fuel system etc?

On my 03 cobra, Id say the 2.8 upper is the equivilent combo because that is the point right before you need either a BAP and or injectors and a maf.

So what combo should I go with?

Wiked L

Wiked03's Bitch
Apr 1, 2004
SVTdubs said:
Im keeping this relatively stock. The stock exhaust flows quite nicely so I am keeping that stock.

The truck already has a diablo flip chip in it.
I want to get a JLT intake so the blower screams but Im torn over which pulley I should get. I want to get a pulley that doesnt require an upgraded maf, fuel system, etc. I just want an intake, chip, pulley truck, thats it.

So what pulley can I get that will be safe on the stock maf, fuel system etc?

On my 03 cobra, Id say the 2.8 upper is the equivilent combo because that is the point right before you need either a BAP and or injectors and a maf.

So what combo should I go with?

You'll read on Lightning sites that people say to go with the 4lb to be in the safe zone. Most lightning peps are afraid of blowing the engine with the 6lb. But you'll be fine with whatever you decide as long as your tune is good and you're not doing high speed runs for long periods of time. (the Gen 2 rods suck!) Stick with your stock upper pulley. I've read a lot of people having belt slip issues when they change there upper. With the 6lb you do run a good chance of needing a maf but not everyone does. Good idea with staying away from Exhaust to save $. I like my truck loud so that the only reason why I got a cat back system. But with the lightnings the stock exhaust flows enough that you will not pick up any horse power with an exhaust change.

SVTdubs

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
yeah but i plan on driving to illinois every once in a while and probably hitting byron or us41 so I can get some "real" times

I ordered a JLT today, maybe a 4lb lower tomorrow. Scott from mile hi dyno can tune it out here. I cant wait to see how the elevation kills the times this wed at bandi. You wanna go hank? They werent open last wed

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
You'll have plenty of fuel system with a 6 lb, but it's borderline and with a 6 and a port job, you'll be out of fuel.

The 4 or 5 lb lowers are considered the limit of "safe". From the looks of those rims, you have a 99-00 - check and see if you're still running the 80mm stock MAF that came in those years. You'll want to put in the 90mm MAF and tune if not. Then, even among the L's, the 99-00 were known for crap rods.

That beotch will scream with the JLT. Have fun!

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Wiked L said:
Good idea with staying away from Exhaust to save $. I like my truck loud so that the only reason why I got a cat back system. But with the lightnings the stock exhaust flows enough that you will not pick up any horse power with an exhaust change.

Shit where was that advise a couple years ago when I had my 01 Lightning :lmao: I didnt gain shit when I went the full Bassani, but atleast it sounded good :p

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
Lightnings stock maf and fuel system will support 450-500 rwhp. The JLT is good then go with a 6lb lower...Have your tune set up for the additional boost with maybe a low timing (12) and a tune for 95+ octane...17-19 degrees..

edit. Just remembered you most likely have the stock 80mm maf...Dump it for the 90 (01+) and have it tuned for that...

TSI_SVT

Get Blown!
Jul 9, 2006
I have a 2lb upper and it does slip with the stock idler. I only changed my exhaust to the JDM silver bullet catback for a little more noise. The one thing I would get if it doesn't already have it is a valvebody. The transmission will last much longer plus shift better.

SVTdubs

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
thanks guys. Im going to do a JLT for now and maybe a 4lb lower later on. With my 11.2 a/f, I probably wont even need a retune. Im going to dyno it stock again then switch the stocker for the JLT on the dyno and run again to see the difference. 3 pulls on the dyno here is only $60!

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Seriously, I totally forgot about that one. You NEED a Factory Tech Valve Body. The best place that sells them is www.chickenears.com pick up a new pan with a drain plug at the same time. (I went with a Moroso pan from rpmoutlet.) DON'T go with anyone else's valves, get the whole valve body from FT - he actually worked on the assembly line for the 4R100.

There is nothing that will put a smile on your face like throwing you back and barking the tires on the 1-2 AND 2-3 shifts. Best mod award IMO.

http://www.chickenears.com/accumulator_main.htm

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info