• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Good Tires???

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Hey Guys I got a flat in my front right Tire So this is giving me an excuse to go ahead and replace all 4. I was saving for some other stuff but might as well get this so I can drive the damn car. I had Stock F1's upfront Any suggestions for front tires would be great. I want them to last a while and still be good for handling. The car has 18k on it and they seem bald already.... I know what I want for the Rear M/T Drag Radial. So anyone driving with other than Goodyear F'1s upfront let me know how you like them and how long they lasted thanks.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
01SVT19 said:
Hey Guys I got a flat in my front right Tire So this is giving me an excuse to go ahead and replace all 4. I was saving for some other stuff but might as well get this so I can drive the damn car. I had Stock F1's upfront Any suggestions for front tires would be great. I want them to last a while and still be good for handling. The car has 18k on it and they seem bald already.... I know what I want for the Rear M/T Drag Radial. So anyone driving with other than Goodyear F'1s upfront let me know how you like them and how long they lasted thanks.

I would recommend BFG KDW's. I have them and I am very happy with them. They grip and you can generally get at a good price. I use my car quite often so DR's werent an option so I use them on the back also. 1st gear sucks ass but once Im into 2nd gear they hook and im gone :headbang:

Emil

Regular
May 1, 2004
I have 285/40/17 KDW's. They are amazing in a straight line compared to the stock F1's especially when it's colder. I think the F1's are a bit better in a turn but not by much, they have a stiffer sidewall.
If you're gonna run a DR then for better car balance I think you want something up front with a pretty soft sidewall.

01SVT19

TCG Elite Member
Apr 23, 2006
Emil said:
I have 285/40/17 KDW's. They are amazing in a straight line compared to the stock F1's especially when it's colder. I think the F1's are a bit better in a turn but not by much, they have a stiffer sidewall.
If you're gonna run a DR then for better car balance I think you want something up front with a pretty soft sidewall.
What tires have a softer sidewall?? What does a softer sidewall help in cornering? Thanks for the input.

Emil

Regular
May 1, 2004
On the sidewall thing,

a tire with a stiffer sidewall will stay centered in the wheel better when turning. Once the tire shifts off to the side it tends to lift the inside corner losing contact with the ground and reducing your contact patch. A stiff sided tire reduces this effect. It also will have better transient response (pothole avoidance :)) and in general be easier to get a good feel for the road.

The softer sidewall tire willl have the advantage of squatting down under torque increasing straight line grip. It will also give a smoother ride.

Good luck with your tires!

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I've got GS-D3's on the Cobra which have a very stiff sidewall.

In comparison, I have General Exclaim UHP's on my GT which have a softer sidewall. The General's have excellent ride quality and grip, especially in rain. They are very compliant and give a very smooth, quiet ride, but you can't hang it out in a corner like you can with the GS-D3's.

If you don't need hard cornering capabilities, you might want to go with the softer sidewall tire for improved ride quality. It's easier to live with every day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info