• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Recommendations for Upgrades to 03 Cobra

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
JayzCobra said:
I see a lot of Kenne Bell's put on, i want to increase hp/torque- but upgrade and not kill the life of the car either. I have done nitto's before - i thought i might do that again. Pulley and a tune were part of my thoughts as well
You'll need to define what your goals are for the car.

How fast/how much power do you want? What's your budget (if any)?

JayzCobra

Jun 12, 2007
03 cobra

Definitely maximizing the HP/Torque capability - beefing up the weak links to maximize the life of the entire car and keeping the stock look- all the while getting the best bang for the buck--- 11's would be nice - 10's i think i would have to change alot...

I also have nitorus system that was on an 04 cobra i bought and resold for anyone interested- it was never used- only the purge at shows..

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I forgot to mention, many deals on these used in the classifieds here, SVTP, and/or modularfords and SVTUSA if Slash ever get's it romping ;)

IRS Brace
Drag Radial... MT if not daily driven in the rain
Clutch Quadrant and FW adjuster
MM Full length SFC
Practice launching it...
about $900 with install
Low to mid 12's good driving
------------------------
Then when the clutch slips:
DFX and supporting parts
26 spline input shaft
about $1200
consistent low to mid 12's
--------------------------
2.76 BF interchangeable pulley, in case you go ported blower, etc.
Idlers up to you, I have them, but Carl (WIKED03) doesn't... you may want them after you grenade one.
about $300, tune needed add $75-500
mid to high 11's
Add fuel mods:
KB BAP
60# Injectors
SCT2400 MAF
about $700, tune needed add $75-500
safer motor

Then your car should be prepped for:
Nitrous: $350-500. +tune
Whipple/ KB: $2500-3500, +tune
low to high 10's

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
JayzCobra said:
Definitely maximizing the HP/Torque capability - beefing up the weak links to maximize the life of the entire car and keeping the stock look- all the while getting the best bang for the buck--- 11's would be nice - 10's i think i would have to change alot...

I also have nitorus system that was on an 04 cobra i bought and resold for anyone interested- it was never used- only the purge at shows..
Since you mentioned "Bang For The Buck", here's my suggestion:

- Billetflow IRS Brace
- Quadrant & Firewall Adjuster
- Drag Radials
- Billetflow 2.76 Upper
- XCal2 with a custom tune by a GOOD tuner

You already have an Exhaust and Cold Air. You won't see much from an x-pipe or a heat exchanger and can add them later. The other stuff I would just upgrade as you see fit (e.g. the clutch when it goes, fuel system and MAF upgrades, etc.)

That's enough to net you 455-470 rwhp/~500 rwtq and high 11 second timeslips with a little practice. All for very little investment. Everything after what I mentioned will be "relatively" expensive for small gains.

My $0.02

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
gnxs said:
You'll need to define what your goals are for the car.

How fast/how much power do you want? What's your budget (if any)?

+1 You should decide right now....I went thru 3 different pullies for the Eaton and then ended up sending my blower in for a porting and ended up going with a twin screw. I figure with the cost of the pullies and getting the port work done along with the tuning and dyno time I could have spent the extra $1000 and went with the twin screw first. But my car only stays fast for so long. I already have plans for the first part of next year :headbang: :rolleyes:

JayzCobra

Jun 12, 2007
Dragon03 said:
+1 You should decide right now....I went thru 3 different pullies for the Eaton and then ended up sending my blower in for a porting and ended up going with a twin screw. I figure with the cost of the pullies and getting the port work done along with the tuning and dyno time I could have spent the extra $1000 and went with the twin screw first. But my car only stays fast for so long. I already have plans for the first part of next year :headbang: :rolleyes:

you have a whipple- what reasons did you choose it, i see alot people with the kenne bell..

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
JayzCobra said:
you have a whipple- what reasons did you choose it, i see alot people with the kenne bell..

Overall it was the price of it I picked it up for under $3000....KB will run you $3400+ on average (last time I checked). I also checked around and found that quite a few people had issues with the customer service people at KB. The KB and the Whipples are the same thing when I was looking into going with a twin screw I found that alot of the internal componets came from the same company...the only difference between the two is when you put your foot down the KB is going to scream like a mother versus the Whipple tends to be hell of alot quieter. I didnt see the need to spend the extra $$$ for the whine but thats just me ;)

JayzCobra

Jun 12, 2007
I originally looked at the KB and thought next about the whipple only because i noticed more KB's - but this is exactly the kind of inside info i was hoping to hear- it really helps you not spend money and regret it. I sincerely appreciate everyone's comments - especially with me being a newbie and all.

how about opinions on the diablo versus the xcalibrator?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info