• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Warm weather vs. boost

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
I have a question for everyone who is running twin screws. Getting on the highway this afternoon I nailed it and in looking at my boost gauge i was hitting right around 14 1/2 lbs and then stayed right below 14 the rest of the climb. I know that warmer weather does make the blower work harder hense more heat less horsepower/boost. Since this is going to be my first warm time of the year since going with the Whipple are you guys seeing about the same amount of loss regarding boost (2-3 lbs)? I have been a little suspect that I may be alittle fat in my A/F or atleast thats how it feels. Thoughts? Or am I just spoiled from going out and playing on those nice cool boost friendly days :cool:

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Dragon03 said:
I have a question for everyone who is running twin screws. Getting on the highway this afternoon I nailed it and in looking at my boost gauge i was hitting right around 14 1/2 lbs and then stayed right below 14 the rest of the climb. I know that warmer weather does make the blower work harder hense more heat less horsepower/boost. Since this is going to be my first warm time of the year since going with the Whipple are you guys seeing about the same amount of loss regarding boost (2-3 lbs)? I have been a little suspect that I may be alittle fat in my A/F or atleast thats how it feels. Thoughts? Or am I just spoiled from going out and playing on those nice cool boost friendly days :cool:

You hit it pretty much on the money. my little 2.2 blows in the heat..time for a 2.8H!

Cobratom

Regular
May 14, 2004
Dragon03 said:

Much worse here in Arizona too!

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Flyn high again said:
The heat is one of the reasons adding a nitrous shot does so much for blown cars. Besides adding power through a more potent fuel/air mix, it also cools the intake charge getting added hp from the intake temps.

What are your thoughts on that methanol stuff? I entertained the idea but after looking into it there were issues with it stripping the tefleon coating off of the blower internals? I think the only way that stuff works on our cars is if you use it post blower??

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Dragon03 said:
What are your thoughts on that methanol stuff? I entertained the idea but after looking into it there were issues with it stripping the tefleon coating off of the blower internals? I think the only way that stuff works on our cars is if you use it post blower??

I've never tried methanol myself or talked about it to anyone who uses it. Some people like it and some don't. If it's stripping the Teflon off the blower, it might also affect the coatings on valves or other internal parts. I don't know for sure.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Dragon03 said:
Next time I see you at "Streets" or wherever, I'll give you the complete lowdown on methanol.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
Wamer ambient air temps always make for less boost..this being because warm air is less dense than cooler air. Methanol works great for PD and screw type blowers. Many GTP/GS guys run it (I did for awhile) in their non I/C'd M90 setups and report their blowers are ice cold after repeated WOT runs. The higher the concentration of methanol the more chances it'll strip the coating off the roaters but on the M90 (and presumably the M112) that coating is only there to reduce noise (as per Eaton themselves). There's a few quality meth/alky kits out there worth looking at.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info